Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Emissions Passing Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I mix 3 gallons of Toluene with every fill up. My car passed the emissions test WITHOUT a cat. Of course it failed the visual.

Saying that different fuels do not make a difference is NOT CORRECT. Diesel is downright dirty. Natural gas burning vehicles are among the cleanest cars out there. The specific properties of the fuel used can make a huge difference. Why do you think MTBE's were messed with when they are sooooo poisonous to the environment.

Did the Toluene mix make a difference? Maybe. Don't know for sure unless I test again on pump gas. But this wont happen. I just installed a cat for the next round.

Hmmmm, Craig is on the EPD advisory board. I guess we should watch what we say.

But given his statements, It makes you wonder the IQ level of these boards that are making such wide ranging decisions.

I ran into this here in California. My car passed the test with half the allowable emissions levels, yet it failed because I have a MAF and test pipe. Obviously common sense does not apply. In my mind the goal is to have clean air. If this involves stock parts or not, why should that matter? Technology does advance, does it not?

Am I still pissed.....YES. (Rant mode off, while trying to figure out a way to disguise my MAF)

Last edited by Bill; 12-18-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as changing the oil...that does nothing

That is an untrue statement. HC can be stored (are stored) in oil, you can smell gas in the oil. It is listed as an approved emissions repair to apply for waiver in Texas as well.

Also, for someone who has machines you should know that generalizing about emission repair is a bit like flying blindfolded. You might be right 50% of the time and you will be wrong at least that often. That is why emissions repair shops have specialed technicians.

I do agree with one thing, there are far too many shops trying to cure problems with emissions where they do not have the personnel to do so. Even some of our stores have been guilty of that. I have turned down more machines because the store did not have the personnel needed to run it.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:52 PM
wwboater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who said that different fuels does not make a difference? I said that the potions that tell you they make your car pass are BS.....

If the oil holds HC, which it does, how does it get to the tail pipe? Now if you are burning that much oil i am willing to bet it is going to take more than an oil change to fix your car. After seeing people fail thier Emissions test for the last 7 years and seen them come back with just an oil change. I have never seen 1 person pass by just changing the oil. Not one!!!

With my post I was just tring to shed some light on What causes failures, HC CO and Nox. Then explain some of the causes for high readings. As Matt stated and I agree: You can not generalize what is wrong with a car. You have to look at each one on its own. Also as Matt said there are way to many people trying to fix emissions failures that do not have a clue......

Also it is a federal law that if your car came with a cat that it must stay on your car (not track cars). I also think the penaty is 10 years $10,000. Although I have never heard of an individual getting punished, The law is aimed at shops that take off cats.

the board is strictly advisory not enforcement. and yes my CURRENT car has a cat..
Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Matt H
Race Director

A little oil is burned in every car, I have seen lower numbers (not go from fail to pass mind you I have NEVER seen that either). Isnt it funny sometimes how bad the cars that come in are?

Not trying to bust your ***** just pointing out that generalizing emission repairs is bad news. The advance emissions repair diag manual I have is a few hundred pages long. Even the one the state prints have the same stuff listed in every category!

You are correct about the law and who it is generated at. You can trailer a car to a muffler shop and trailer it away (numbers on the doors would be good) and they will happily cut the cat out.

If I could pass without I would not have one, as it stands in Texas is it pretty hard to pass without (my RX-7 has none, went from flying colors to tuning the machine green in the face if you know what I mean). I am not a proponent of emission contols, I hate it actually but the law is the law.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:05 PM
wwboater
Instructor

No I understand. Generalizing REPAIRS is bad for the testers and the public spending the money and if my post appeared to telling people what was wrong with thier cars then it was wrong. But hopefully I gave some insight as to what could be the problems.

the best is when someone with a POS says there cars runs fine why did it fail. But in reality the car smells like gas and is running on 3 of the 8 cylenders....
Old 12-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I love that, did you know your MIL light is on, yeah but it runs fine. Go to car, car barely starts, smells awful, barely runs, etc. Ever wonder how some people drive the POS's they bring in?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am a proponent of clean air. I just get green in the face when there is no room for common sense.

wwboater, nice looking 968.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Yeah, I too would prefer quality emissions free cars to further poluting the
air.

Forever I've had a dream of taking an early 924 and making it full electric.
I think it would pass emissions pretty easily then. LOL
Old 12-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raven,

Just make sure your electric motor has a cat on it, just like stock. Its the LAW!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Dig it! Electric 914!!

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/050.html
Old 12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
wwboater
Instructor

Bill, a MAF not being legal in CA is stupid. Its newer tech and therefore you would think better. But CA is a very strict state. Here in GA MAF's are fine. Test pipes are not..

"But given his statements, It makes you wonder the IQ level of these boards that are making such wide ranging decisions." I Do not know what to make of this comment? If its directed at me or the Govt officials that make the laws? So I will blow it off and assume its directed at the Govt people.

Why the Toluene? Are you running high boost?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

wwboater,

I am frustrated with the air quality regulators.

The ones that create these narrow regulations which do not allow for common sense. I have a cleaner smog test with the maf, than what I had with the stock afm. The printout is proof positive. The Ford maf works better, is available, is cheaper to buy, and is being used on about a million Taurus's. Yet my car sits in the garage, because this equipment, "Is not visually stock".

So to answer your question......I guess if you are in the smog regulatory circle, have influence, and are not doing anything to add a grain of common sense, then I am frustrated with you also.

You did state that you were on a smog board. You also stated that:

The gas treatments do not work! Get a clue.
That is what prompted my response.

MTBE "IS" a gas treatment. It "DOES" reduce emissions. It was incorporated into public use for this exact reason, until it was found that it had catastrophic environmental repercussions and is being phased out.

So if a person is holding a position of influence on a regulating board, as you implied, is making such an uninformed blanket statement, it gets me worked up. It is that same uninformed, narrow minded position, that has turned my car into a garage ornament.

Yes, I know.....keep it stock and I won't have a problem. Or crush the 951, and then buy a new $100,000 996 turbo to get the same performance (all stock). Make it run right and it will pass (another incorrect statement, it doesn't pass visual). My car does run right. It has a perfect fuel curve.

No be a sheep. Follow the heard. The smog ***** have all the pat answers, justified by a cause, lobbied by special interest.

A lawyer I consulted once appropriately summed it up......"you are up against the police power of the state".

But if you are not in that circle, then it's all good. Accept my apologies for my vent.

The toluene......18 psi insurance. And smog checks.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toluene- elixir of the boost genies

Quick Reply: Any Emissions Passing Tips?