Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Darkfusion42
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 project

Day I brought her home
picked up this car about a year ago. Basic maintenance, had some bad body work in the rear passenger quarter panel, some torn interior and cracked dash, and a sloppy shifter that eventually wouldn’t engage any gears. Swapped most of the interior out, fixed the bad bondo job, wrapped the car, swapped all the shifter components, and added a few extras. Still a work in progress. LED lights,Lindsey racing short shifter, only 944 short shifter linkage and rod, bumper mod, etc. enjoy.

Switching to LED headlamps

New seat covers for now

More wrapping progress

The bad bondo job from the previous owner

New shift boot before the Lindsey racing short shifter and new ****

All red tails

Posting from a phone to this forum is a little painful, sorry for the order of the pics. Lol.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:20 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First post...welcome. Nice photos.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 AM
carlosvmata
Intermediate

Great looking ride man....nice and clean!

Interested in your thoughts on the short shifter...from install to feel. I just hate the long throw from 1st to 2nd on mine and looking for an upgrade.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Darkfusion42
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by carlosvmata
Great looking ride man....nice and clean!

Interested in your thoughts on the short shifter...from install to feel. I just hate the long throw from 1st to 2nd on mine and looking for an upgrade.
I installed the Lindsey racing short shifter on its own first. It was nice, and allows for some adjustability. Though there is actually much less than they imply because too much or too little either way may not allow you to get into gear depending on a variety of factors. That made the install a little frustrating but finding the sweet spot isn’t too hard. it was still a little sloppy for my tastes so I then installed the only944 short shifter linkage and linkage arm combo. Once everything was dialed in and adjusted right it’s the best feeling shifter I’ve used. Decently short throws both forward and back and side to side, no slop. A little hard to engage (even with a flush and redline fluid) but that’s expected with a shorter throw and still much better than before. It’s my favorite thing done so far. Otherwise the car came with a chip (I have a pic, forget which one but it pulls decent throughout the rpm range) and the throttle response cam.

Quick Reply: 86 944 project