Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension back to 87+

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 05:29 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If you want S2 brakes on your 87 944 S you will need:

S2 or 87+ turbo brake calipers
S2 or 87+ turbo spindles (with ABS if your S has it)
87+ NA, S, turbo or S2 hubs
87+ NA, 87+ turbo, S or S2 control arms
87+ NA, 87+ turbo, S or S2 inner and outer tie rods
Turbo or S2 brake dust shields
87+ turbo or S2 struts (some say the 87+ NA and S struts are the same as the turbo and S2 ones)
And sway bar end links for late cars. I think that's about it but they are specific to model.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JOK3R
So I've purchased a bunch of parts randomly because I really want to just get this done. I'm very confused on what parts can go with what....
Forgive me for not beating around the bushes but that was a mistake! You don't buy stuff to just get the job done! Do your due diligence first - learn and then buy. And I'm not saying that because you decided otherwise in regards to the extra M030 suspension I've offered...

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM
JOK3R
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to do the research. I keep getting different answers. I'm starting to get the right ones here. That's the point of this thread. This is a fun extreme custom project car for me and I'd like to start putting it together sooner than later is all.
CHUCKS this is where people confuse me. What I purchased says '1985.5-1991 944 turbo s2 aluminium lower control arm set' however it says they came from an 88' 944s. figure the 's2' in the description means it will fit s2 brakes. Fingers crossed.
Thanks royal Schwartz that info should have been easier to find.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

I'm in the middle of putting turbo brakes on my own 87 NA (same setup as an S). It hasn't been easy finding all the info because every thread lists some bits of info here and some bits of info there. It would be nice to have one definitive place to get all the answers but it doesn't exist because of all the different changes Porsche did through the years, especially on the later cars. My own car has ABS so there's specifics there that most other people don't have to worry about which has made it even more difficult for me (especially finding the ABS spindles). Just be aware that you will probably have to do more research once you're in there doing the work.

And don't take listings descriptions as being completely accurate. Most people on ebay listing parts are wrecking yards that don't know the specifics of these cars. Most wouldn't be able to tell you by looking if the car they're removing parts from is an early NA or an S2. This is where it's up to you to know what you're getting. It would behoove you to bookmark the Porsche PET parts site and learn how to read it. That will tell you exactly what parts work with what cars and what is interchangeable with what. If a listing doesn't tell you what car it was removed from or a part number shown then it's probably best to stay away unless you know for certain it is a generic part that works on all the cars. When it comes to conversions, we have to trust people that have been down that road. Unfortunately many that have done it don't lay out how they did it and the threads we have in the archives are from people asking before hand with no updates when they completed the job (if they did at all).
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 PM
JOK3R
Track Day

So I've got the brembo brake calipers from an 88 says turbo s2. I looked on Lindsey racing for steel lines and there are 2 diffent lines. Some for an 87. And some for an 88+. My car is an 87. But the. Calipers are 88s. Are the lines different at the hardline side. Or the caliper side? Or both?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:22 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

There are two sets of hard lines on cars from 87 to 91 NA, S, turbo and S2. Those with ABS and those without. Doesn't matter what model it was, those are the only two sets of hard lines. Brake hoses are another story depending on calipers.

There are 3 types of turbo (and S2) calipers:
-86 turbo calipers (36mm and 38mm pistons)
-87 and 88 turbo calipers (36mm and 40mm pistons)(same as 89-91 S2)
-88 turbo S and 89 turbo calipers (36mm and 44mm pistons)

All 3 calipers use different brake hoses. I don't know what the difference is between them but they are specific to turbo's. Measure the piston size of the calipers you have and that will tell you if you have 88 turbo or 88 turbo S calipers. Pretty sure you'd know if you have turbo S calipers though since they command a very hefty premium so doubtful someone sold them without knowing what they were.

Last edited by royalschwarz; 01-09-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: update for ABS
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 AM
JOK3R
Track Day

Hmm. Unfortunately I think the previous guy told me that heDID convert the hardlines to pre 87 to be a spec race car in a slower class. Even my engine is an 85 or something lol. But I'm doing a v8 swap so it was a great shell.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:37 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JOK3R
Thanks crazy! So for the 4 piston brembos. It doesn't matter if they are abs or non abs spindles as long as they are s2 correct? Hope so cuz that's wht I got a good deal on. And yeah tie rods. Need those. Yes paragon makes it easy with the option of early and late options.

I'm also going to be doing the torsion bar delete with the addition of the koni coils with a 5-6]]lb spring. I know I need the lower control arm bushing to be converted to aluminium. I was looking at the racers edge banana armaluminum bearing. Now is that all i need or do i need some kind of free twisting bar in place of the torsion bar to triangulate the suspension? Or no.
That doesn't matter, though i don't think any of the S2's came without ABS, that said there were 87+ turbos without ABS and its the same spindle.

Quick Reply: Front suspension back to 87+