Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD Vs Rear Wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:15 PM
lutzam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Vs Rear Wheel drive

More and more companies are proudly incorporating all wheel drive features in their cars (i.e. lamborghini, 911 turbo, Audi, subaru), which clearly contrasts other cars and companies that have consciously excluded awd as a feature (i.e. 911 GT3, GT2, Ferrari, Mcalren). So what is the reason for all of this. I am aware of the advantages of AWD in dirt, ice and snow, but why would cars never meant to touch dirt have AWD. If it is such a great feature then why have some cars and practically all of road racing stayed away from it. I have heard some people say that AWD cars handle better. I can't see why they would. Is it True? If two identical cars, one AWD and one rear wheel drive, were on a track which one would put up faster times. Is the difference really just driving style?

And on a side note wich would you choose if performance figures were equal:
911 turbo, gt2, gt3, carrera 4s (don't take asthetics into desicion)

(in other words which combination of engine type and drive line whould you prefer) Turbo vs Naturally Aspirated and AWD vs RWD
Old 12-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

One good reason that they put in AWD compared to the RWD is for a few different reasons. One is that fact that when going though a corner, if all you have driving the car is the back, when the back wants to come around when pushing it to hard it will swing hard, but if you have AWD it won't swing around as hard. As another important fact, when you start to put some major HP/TQ into cars today at slow speed you have to worry about peeling out the tires when until full or even full power. This way with AWD they can go to full power and have all four pulling them forward instead of just the two spinning. That is for performace is. Now of course when it rains/snows you know that AWD is better then just RWD for the simple facts.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:52 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi showed in the mid-80s how dominating AWD can be with their Quattro in the IMSA GTO series. On tight street circuits, it really helped get the power down to the ground for incredible acceleration with their 600HP+ cars. On a street car, or one that sees some track duty, I doubt you'd have an advantage due to the extra weight and the numb steering.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about a safe ride. Why do people buy huge *** SUV's? Well, for one thing, they are "in" right now, it is cool to have a mammoth sized vehicle on the road...hell, that's what the 50's were all about. Also, the size of the car makes them feel safe. But another huge factor is because SUV's have 4WD or AWD (whatever you want to call it), because when they are used for what they were designed for (going off road) and they have better traction. Only relatively recently has AWD been included in normal sized cars (save for subaru, which has been doing it for years, and Audi as well). But most Japanese cars nowadays have an AWD version, because they simply handle better and provide superior traction, thus giving a safer ride. In my opinion, in the years to come, SUV's become too expensive and impractical, and everyone will switch to AWD cars.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

AWD provides an extra safety margin driving on normal streets in wet weather -- not just on snow or ice. The drawback is extra weight and extra cost, but on the Audi's and Subies with the HP they are putting out now the weight doesn't mean that much. One reason you don't see more AWD in racing series is that it is banned in most series. After Audi kept kicking butt in the '80's they were banned from using Quattro anymore in those events -- it was called the "unfair advantage."

On a track, the AWD cars typically will understeer unless you try some trailing throttle oversteer, which can be a risky technique for beginning track drivers. The safe way to corner is to late apex every corner, coming in slow and then coming on throttle at or before the apex, which results in a very fun 4-wheel drift to the track out point. A RWD car lets you use more different techniques for getting around a corner, but they can be pretty risky until the driver acquires more skill.

The Audi S4's and RS6's that have run in the Speed Challenge series all have Quattro, but weight and air intake restrictions are applied to try to keep all the cars close in speed to make for good racing. If you watch any of the races when it starts raining, however, you see the Quattro Audi's just walk away from everyone else.

Old 12-16-2003, 10:54 PM
lutzam
Intermediate

on a dry track, if two identical cars (in weight and in hp), one AWD and one rear wheel drive, were on a track which one would put up faster times.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:15 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd put my money on the AWD car.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ditto.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:37 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I'll say this. Before having AWD I didnt get what the big deal was. Now with it, I'll never own another daily driver without it, unless Im driving a 4WD truck. I was driving the 951 in rain today (by accident believe me), and going around overpasses and curves I kept thinking to myself, "jesus, were I in the subaru I would be tearing the livin' **** out of this." I felt so loose, like I was leaving so much to chance -- and I wasnt going fast. With AWD you feel like you are suctioned to the pavement. Even AWD has its limits and it doesnt do a thing when it comes time to slow down, but is quite incredible if you have a good setup.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Then why is Lexus doing the new system whereby in dry it goes to RWD "For better handling" But in wet weather it has AWD
Old 12-16-2003, 11:55 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Well after owning several UR"S as they are called , I am glad to see they are getting their just due. This is the car that killed all others on the Pikes Peak Hill Climbs and gave Audi its reputation . This is the car that you hear talked about on TV , not the newer ones. While slow by todays standards, they sure would give most of todays cars a hell of a run up the hill or the Baja even today. Because of their great prowess on the climbs and road races they were banned from most. In their day only a few cars had four wheel drive.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:09 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a UR-q for a while years ago, loved that car!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I listen to race drivers and they all say RWD is faster on a dry track given the car is of the same spec (Example 993 C2 vs 993 C4)
Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 AM
MacWolffe
Advanced

Originally posted by SidViscous
Then why is Lexus doing the new system whereby in dry it goes to RWD "For better handling" But in wet weather it has AWD
it's not lexus, it's infinity.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

You say potato and I say patatoo

Not the point.

Quick Reply: AWD Vs Rear Wheel drive