Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My coverlay is sitting under the christmas tree...! I will post a full write up on this matter after christmas...
Old 12-29-2003, 02:31 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by 944pete
My car has a coverlay. It's been on apparently for years as it's pretty warped and cracked. The car was a Colorado car and spent a lot of time in the sun. I just ordered a new one today and I'll report on it when I get it.
Not bad. I ordered the coverlay on Dec. 16th and I just got it today Dec. 29th. I opened the box up and it looks very nice. I'm getting a windshield installed on Jan. 24th so I won't be installing it until after that. I'll post some before and after pics and maybe write up a short tutorial after it's done.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:29 PM
rbm23
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased one of those plastic covers about 8 years ago by accident when ordering a ton of replacement parts that were eye soars (missing snowflake on the A/C button, missing cigarette logo on lighter, dead hood shocks, etc.). I'm not sure how I ended up with it, but I never got around to sending it back in time. I'm going to dig around the garage and see if I can find it. If I can, I'll send it to you free of charge if you'd like it. It's a plastic shell that looked identical to the upper part of the dash. There is no point in wasting it as it was about $90.

If I can't find it, you can purchase a Leatherette dash for a lot cheaper than a leather one. A genuine Porsche brand leatherette dash from Automobile Atlanta goes for $840. I got the leatherette dash originally in my 944 instead of the leather one when I bought it because I knew they were prone to cracking. 17 1/2 years later it looks like the day it rolled off the lot. Don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking leather dashes! If they made leather that didn't crack I would have gone with the leather one hands down. It was just that every older 944 I saw back then had cracked dashes or carpeting on them. And in 1986 they weren't that old.

Rip

PS- Just had a thought... I'm not sure how it would match with the door panels.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:04 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

when i bought my 83' it came with a coverlay still in the box, lifetime warrenty, to the original purchaser, we put it on and about a month later it was starting to expand and rise in the center, another month and it was cracking on the thin part closer to the window, another month and now its cracked right in the center from the winsheild to the speaker housing, they would be eating the warrenty.....so i plan on replacing it with a carpet one, yea, its carpet, ug, but itll look a hellalot better then that cracked and expanded garbage
just my experience
Old 12-31-2003, 04:06 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

how much can you get a leatherette dash for?..maybe ill just wait till i can afford to replace the dash
Old 12-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I browsed eBay for about a YEAR before chancing upon a correct color BRAND NEW factory dash. It was a lucky find and great deal - around $300, if memory serves.

I have researched the alternatives and found - unfortunately - that replacement is the only sure fire fix.

Yes, you can have the dash restored by justdashes.com, but that costs about the same (more in my case) than getting a replacement.

Coverlay is okay for a short term inexpensive fix, but nothing beats having a nice uncracked genuine dash. The Cover;ay is, after all, just a cover.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:38 PM
rbm23
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

porschefig,

The Porsche leather dash is over $4K, that is why I suggested the Porsche leatherette for $840. Same dash, same Porsche brand, just different material.

Didn't know if you thought I was suggesting a quickfix or aftermarket replacement fix...

Rip

Quick Reply: Dash cover?