Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early sunroof carriage positions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Early sunroof carriage positions

Hi everyone,

There is a pretty nice write-up of the sunroof operation on Clark's Garage, but one piece I find missing is a diagram of the early sunroof mechanism.

I've got a pre-February 1986 which has the early mechanism in it and it's very flaky and I can see that the switches are not being triggered in the right sequence according to the table on Clark's Garage.

If someone has an early mechanism that works, can you take pictures of the back side of the rail as the little stopper slides along at the various positions of the sunroof?

I think part of my problem is that the stopper/carriage is not aligned properly, but I don't know what position it's supposed to be in at the various stages of operation to know. There also seems to be a large white piece of plastic at the end that is free to slide, but never seems to move on my particular rail, so I don't know if that is part of my problem too.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:06 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

I just went through this on my 84 model. I'm not sure what the differences would be in your 86. That said, if you don't get any better offers, email me at Harvey.ferris@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do to help. I can certainly get you a picture of mine.
Very generally, there are 2 micro switches at the rear of the rail. One stops the closure of the sunroof. The second allows a bit more travel such that the latch releases and you can take out the sunroof. As I recall, they are in a package and so you adjust both at the same time. Held in position by a screw.
I hope yours isn't as bad as mine. I took everything out, lubricated the moving parts, rewired the broken connector on the motor, opened the motor and replaced the lube in it, etc, etc. It was quite the ordeal but there are so many moving parts I wanted to be sure everything was back up to snuff. Must have been designed by Rube Goldberg's German cousin!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, it’s a pretty unnecessarily complex mechanism. I can definitely think of easier ways to accomplish what they needed.

Pictures would definitely help. I’m just trying to figure out what position the white plastic shuttle should be in for each position of the sunroof and if the white plastic thing at the end has anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: Early sunroof carriage positions