Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket light bulbs for the 951 foglamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 09:21 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default aftermarket light bulbs for the 951 foglamps

are there any aftermarket light bulbs for the 951/s2 foglamps?i want them to be alot brighter and not like bluish but super bright white.i just want to give it updated look and more light on the road.thanx
Old 12-15-2003, 11:21 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want them much brighter then go with 100 watt or 130 watt H3s in clear from someone like Phillips/Narva or Osram/Sylvania. You may want to stick with the 100 watt because 130 watt isn't going to last long before it burns out - like down around 40 hours life. You may need to rewire with heavier wire and relays depending on how much voltage you are dropping when you go overwatt.

If you can't get them locally for a good price I have a few 100 watt Phillips H3s that you can have for $7 each. Shouldn't cost too much to ship out to you in HI, I'd guess $5 or under for a box of 2 or 4 bulbs.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:33 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't plan on driving in traffic with the 100 watters do you?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:38 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

why is 100 watts too much for the streets cuz the newer cars like bmw and the new vw toureag got me blind the last time i was on the road.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 100W zenon(sp) type lights in the fogs. They have just a hint of blue in them but not as blue as the ricers like. I forgot where I got them, off line somewhere, but they work out good. And yes, I drive with them on all the time at night. They are bright but I am an *** and I like to see where I am going.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:55 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes - i use 100w in both the fog and driving positions. with dans aux wiring setup i can melt bumpers, but not retinas due to proper aiming.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:05 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by shortyboy
why is 100 watts too much for the streets cuz the newer cars like bmw and the new vw toureag got me blind the last time i was on the road.
So you want to be as big an A-hole as them?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:08 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by washington951
yes - i use 100w in both the fog and driving positions. with dans aux wiring setup i can melt bumpers, but not retinas due to proper aiming.
Your driving lights should never be lit in oncoming traffic.

You should use your fog lights only in fog.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Travis - sflraver
They are bright but I am an *** and I like to see where I am going.
You wouldn't like my cousin.....people who left their brights on or had way improperly aimed headlights he would feign blindness and enter their lane and turn his on brights to try to....errrr....show them the light..... Seeing his car coming at you head on might not be too much fun. Yes, he's a nutcase. He also liked to pull his handbrake hard on the highway when someone would tailgate him....he started that after figuring out that people could see him hit his brakes when the brake lights came on....handbrake there is no real warning aside from that car in front of you getting really close really fast.

As for fog only, they are supposed to be shining UNDER the fog anyway. If they are properly aimed there shouldn't be any reason you couldn't use them all the time as having them aiming at all up totally voids their usefulness as fog lights.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:45 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

turbo944, Your cousin is nice compared to me following the A-holes and knocking out their A-hole lights when they go into a store.

A few years ago coming home on the crowded 91 freeway some A-hole is driving with his brights on behind me. I move to another lane and he starts tailgating the flatbed truck that was in front of me. Well this flatbed truck has these huge spots facing to the rear just under the flatbed. Possibly for doing evening masonry work. Guess you can figure out what happened next!

Damn those lights were bright!

Another trick I use is to aim the side and center rear view mirrors so the A-hole gets his lights back in his face.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:19 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

LOL....that's pretty good. I really like that flatbed trick...yikes!

Gosh, I'd forgotten about that. I've done that quite a bit myself in aiming the mirror to send their high beams on the driver behind. I was in the passenger seat one time doing that with my cousin when I was younger and watched the reflection crossing his chest, up his face and then "WHAM!" right into his eyes. He nearly went in the ditch and promptly turned them onto low beam. Only reason he was even behind us as fast as we used to drive around here is that there were several cars in front of us going slowly.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:31 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

So what are the stock bulbs in the fogs? How many watts? Id like to replace the ones I have with a simple pull-the-old-bulb-out-and-put-a-new-bigger-watt-bulb-in. Hey IceShark, what would you recommend to liven up the fog lights without them being a detriment to the stock wiring and oncoming traffic?

By the way I sent you a PM on the headlight stuff but your box is full. Gimme your email and I will send it that way.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:41 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by UDPride
Hey IceShark, what would you recommend to liven up the fog lights without them being a detriment to the stock wiring and oncoming traffic?
If it's foggy then you don't have to worry much about the oncoming trafic with the stock wattage bulbs. Just make sure you have a new lens on the stock fog lights and not one that has been beat to death with road debris.

The higher wattage bulbs turn the fogs on the 944's into acceptable driving lights. But if the wattage is higher than that of the dims don't use then in traffic. I've put 100 watts in mine and changed the wiring so they come on with just the parking lights.

Those extra lenses in the rear tail lights are for fog lights. In Europe they come on with the fog lights. At least the drivers side. Mine even has the extra wire in the loom.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:17 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

UDPride, I cleared out some of the stuff in Rennlist PM but send me your note at wraydan@msn.com Then I can keep track of what we are talking about and I don't forget something that is located elsewhere.

As to your questions, the stock bulbs are 55 watt H3s. The problem in increasing the wattage is the first step in overwatt by the good manufacturers is up to 100 watts. Then to 130. Then even higher but those real big boys are usually only availabe to rally teams on a special build case that the bulb manufacturer is supporting.

You should most likely be able to run 100 watt in the fogs in stock wiring with the worst case problem (which probably won't happen) being melting the wires behind the lens. Porsche put in a relay for the fogs so they are better than the headlights. But this doesn't get you around the voltage drop problem - only way to solve that is with a rewire. But 100 watt will be brighter than 55 without new wiring.

As far as bothering other drivers give it a try and aim correct and see what happens. A lot of strange things can happen depending on how road rashed the lenses are. Light can diffract all over the place. By running 100 watt the fogs aren't going to work so good in actual fog. What happens is you get much more backscatter of light off the fog drops and into your eyes which tends to ruin your night vision.

As far as 100 watt in the driving lights, that is pretty much a lost cause if there is other traffic on the road. Unless you aim the lights straight down at the road which would sort of defeat the whole idea.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:25 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I keep thinking that there are driving lenses for the fog light housing.

Who made the fog lights for the early Porsches?

Quick Reply: aftermarket light bulbs for the 951 foglamps