Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Headliner Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 AM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Headliner Removal

The first of two dumb questions today: I've looked around for instructions on how to take out just the rear portion of the headliner - the short, wide part that sits directly behind the sunroof. The vinyl is falling off mine, and the previous owner tried to sort it with staples without much luck. I found another one that I need to glue a bit, but I can't find out how to remove the existing one - there are a few round black clips or fasteners that hold it in, but they don't 'pop' out like normal interior trim clips. How do I remove these, and can I reuse them or do I need new ones?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:47 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

1. Remove the sunroof, there are two screws on the rear section that have to come out.
2. Remove the little plastic snap on caps from 5 screws on the rear headliner. You will have to use a sharp edge to get under the plastic cap and lift it off.
3. Remove the 5 screws. There is one each on the right & left edges, and three screws along the top.
4. Pull the headliner loose starting at either the right or left edge. The rest of the headliner will follow.

Use a good 3M adhesive like 38808 which is made for headliner and vinyl material. 3M 77 and others will stain thru the vinyl eventually.
Mask off all areas of the headliner that you do not want adhesive on. Spray the adhesive on the vinyl and backboard 2 or 3 times. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and start working the material toward the edge with pressure. 3M's directions are exact and on the can.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent, thanks so much. Was glad to see that this part of the headliner is isolated - on other vintage cars a sagging headliner is usually a signal to me that the car needs to go.

Quick Reply: Rear Headliner Removal