Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston Area Rennlist Christmas Party!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump
Old 12-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a pic of the main hoop of my cage. Don't worry about the duct tape. In the future, all cages will be assembled with it. Actually, I needed to hold it in place to test fit.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So I guess you don't need to borrow my pipe bender?

BTW, George, empty your mailbox. I couldn't send you a PM this morning. No luck yet on a replacement control arm, but I emailed a guy that had a set in Panorama.

I'd like to talk to you about NISsport and your machining capabilities. You know I've got my fingers on the metal. It would be fun to think about, anyway.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian - you give up on the replacement bushings? There is a place right there in Houston that rebuilds for 139 IIRC. I would love to have a machined set though. George, you ought to think about it.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:58 AM
houston944
Advanced

Hi,

I was introduced to this group by Kevin. I got my 944 last Sunday and I love it, didn't drive my other car at all last week.

I could be there around 6 pm as well.

Look forward to meeting y'all.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Red1
So I guess you don't need to borrow my pipe bender?
Nope. Thanks. I still didn't sent the tubing bender along and this weekend was the first free weekend I've had in months so I got busy.

BTW, George, empty your mailbox. I couldn't send you a PM this morning. No luck yet on a replacement control arm, but I emailed a guy that had a set in Panorama.
I've purged it. Ready for more.

I'd like to talk to you about NISsport and your machining capabilities. You know I've got my fingers on the metal. It would be fun to think about, anyway.
We've got pretty much whatever we need available to us. We have a couple of shops that are CNC equipped that do our stuff. All I need to provide them with is a drawing. I haven't had time to do the CAD stuff (I have two different powerful CAD packages available to me) so I just send our guys the drawings and they do it for us.

One of the tricks is material selection. For most stuff T6061 is great, but not always. Rotor hats for instance are made from a different alloy (can't remember which at the moment). In fact, we have thought about making a BBK using Wilwoods instead of Big Reds. Should be cheaper, but we don't have the time to do the research at the moment.
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am here! Not sure if I can get out there for the 23rd. But I do want to hook up. Would you happen to have a belt gauge? Mine is in RI and my belts are whining like they may be too tight. Let me know
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt H
Brian - you give up on the replacement bushings? There is a place right there in Houston that rebuilds for 139 IIRC. I would love to have a machined set though. George, you ought to think about it.
I'm actually going to use spherical bearings.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by PeteL
I am here! Not sure if I can get out there for the 23rd. But I do want to hook up. Would you happen to have a belt gauge? Mine is in RI and my belts are whining like they may be too tight. Let me know
Yes, I now have The Tool.

And, thankfully my schedule is light through the holidays. First time in my career (I used to do manufacturing accounting and inventory accounting and my busy time was the end of the year), and kind of surprising considering how this year has gone.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Matt H
Race Director

George - if that is all that is holding you up I will have my father in law start on the CAD. He is finished with designing his motor so he should have some spare time. Anyone got a control arm they want to donate, can be broken! I can get it to him about the 30th as I will be down there. Brian has the connection with the metals. I would be happy to use spherical and use my car as a test mule (26 miles each way to work every day).
Old 12-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Geo
Race Director

George - if that is all that is holding you up I will have my father in law start on the CAD. He is finished with designing his motor so he should have some spare time. Anyone got a control arm they want to donate, can be broken! I can get it to him about the 30th as I will be down there. Brian has the connection with the metals. I would be happy to use spherical and use my car as a test mule (26 miles each way to work every day).
You don't want to use spherical bearings on the street. I can't use the same arms as you anyway since I have the early arms. I also can't use aftermarket arms.

But......

Creating a set of machined from billet arms should not be a huge undertaking. Getting them braced properly may be an issue, but that shouldn't be too hard. We need a control arm to take measurements from and then play with design a bit. They look really easy to make and I cannot believe how much they go for. It's because they are for a Porsche, plain and simple. That's why I'm making my own spherical bearing cassettes. The current offerings are just stupid expensive.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:22 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally posted by houston944
Hi,

I was introduced to this group by Kevin. I got my 944 last Sunday and I love it, didn't drive my other car at all last week.

I could be there around 6 pm as well.

Look forward to meeting y'all.
Awesome, we can always use some fresh blood around here. Most of the groups was lost working on Kevin's car.

Let's make the "official time" of the meeting 6:15pm. We'll gather in the front - it's large enough to hold as many as can show up. I'll try to make it there by 6pm and then hang out in the parking lot next to my 951 (yes - I'm going to drive the 951 - any mothball smells coming from the car are strickly in YOUR imagination).
Old 12-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

George - I dont know about Brian (though I have a feeling here) but I dont really care about the lost ride quality, etc from using the spherical bearings. I have used solid on a number of daily drivers. I also dont see why they are so high, seems pretty simple to have made. I have my arms off, I can use them, but you are right they are different. Do you already have something in mind? I know you cant run them in the Spec car but you do have a business and businesses are in the business of making money :>)
Old 12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Geo
Race Director

George - I dont know about Brian (though I have a feeling here) but I dont really care about the lost ride quality, etc from using the spherical bearings. I have used solid on a number of daily drivers. I also dont see why they are so high, seems pretty simple to have made. I have my arms off, I can use them, but you are right they are different. Do you already have something in mind? I know you cant run them in the Spec car but you do have a business and businesses are in the business of making money :>)
Oh, absolutely. It kind of comes down to priorities, but if you guys are hot for a set of control arms, we could measure some up. We definitely won't have them before Brian needs them however. We have other things backed up in our queue.

But yeah, they are pretty simple and should be easy to measure an produce.

As for the spherical bearings, I don't know if the early will fit the late of not. The early will be my priority since that's what I'm building. Again, we certainly can do the late and I'm certain there is a market for them.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

What do you need to have measured, I will take measurements tonight. I can live without the spherical bearing if it will hold things up. What kind of time frame do you think? Maybe by February? Without holding you to a number what do you see as a cost?

Quick Reply: Houston Area Rennlist Christmas Party!