Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 intercooler nose vents- suggestions, photo shoppers, etc....???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:10 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 intercooler nose vents- suggestions, photo shoppers, etc....???

I've been collecting a BUNCH of parts lately that I'm hoping to get put on in the next few weeks- the biggest thing being my new suspension- while doing this, I plan to replace my cracked fog lenses w/my new Euro drivers (just got from PP- 20% off sale). I'm going to repaint the front clip then too- bumper, nose panel, hood, & headlight covers- I'd LOVE to do the whole car, but.... I've been debating a vented nose panel- I really like the stock solid look better & IF I do it, I want to get my piece cut & NOT buy a pre-cut fiberglass one b/c of possible fitment probs. I'm trying to decide b/t 2 types- the original 944GTP &/or 931 racer which has 4 or 5 squarish looking holes w/rounded corners- hte GTP's had them off toward the driver side actually, & looked really cool that way IMO.... the other way is: 1 narrow slit w/rounded edges that matches the one opening below w/the towing eye- most people seem to do this leaving a little verticel piece in the middle &/or square the edges instead of rounding them &/or make them too thick, etc....

Anyway, I would like some opinions- possibly anyone who can use Photo-Shop could help? I have a zermatt silver Turbo & probably have a frontal pic of one that could be used- can anyone do this &/or at least give me an opinion? Maybe some of you have frontal pics showing it....

I would REALLY appreciate any help anyone could give me here- I'm really kind of afraid to mess it up, as it looks so nice, so I'm really trying hard to take my time & make the right decision....

Thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 12-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is my stock panel modified. I will have better pics tomorrow as I am picking it up from the body shop.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Matt H
Race Director

A little further out
Old 12-14-2003, 11:16 AM
jjguitarranch

Rennlist Member

How much did the body shop charge to spray and install?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Matt H
Race Director

They are not installing, I just took the panel over to them. They are cleaning up the edges (making them smooth), repairing previous damage (can you say awful previous repair), cutting out the bracing behind my holes (you can see it in either picture if you look closely), and painting. It was 160.00. It is high but I happen to like/trust this particular shop. Keep in mind on the little jobs, you buy 1 pint of paint (I want to say the paint was 40-50 dollars, Sikkens with reducers, etc.) minimum, they still have lots of prep time, etc. I will take them my new hood and door handles sometime soon.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a couple of mine done with a dremel before painting.

Here a close-up of the aluminum ducting I made for it.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Rob - how did you make the ducting? I am in the process of doing the same thing. What did you mount it to? Looks great.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses guys.... I DO have a few questions...

1st, Matt asked about the ducting- Don't some places, like SFR, sell it already made? Anyone know how much? IF it's REALLY easy though, I'd rather just do my own- please let us know how you did it Rob- details would be GREATLY appreciated...

My next question is: I've noticed that most people seem to make 2 oval holes instead of just 1- is there a specific reason for this? It's not that I don't like it, BUT, I kind of think I'd like mine to be just one hole- the same exact length across as the one below & the same height, as well- fairly narrow that is... Would there be some sort of structural prob doing it like that- one long, narrow slit? The 2 slits make it look sort of like nostrils- not bad, just different- they are fairly aggressive...

I would also consider the 931 look- 4 or 5 rounded edge square cut-outs- actually, I THINK I like the 944GTP Le Man's racer better- the same type cut-outs, but, offset to the driver side- looks kind of cool IMO- probably couldn't be as functional, but it LOOKS like it is...anyone know what I'm talking about? I've probably got a pic or two, but, I can NEVER get pics to post on here.... Anyway, thanks again for the pics, etc...
Old 12-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whoops....
Old 12-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

1) here is a link to the 924 side for the look with the 4 holes https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=96631 from what I hear it is a mother to do this.

2) I just dont like the single look http://www.lindseyracing.com/944bod9.htm but here it is anyway.

3) SFR does make the ducting but it is 100 dollars. Sheet aluminum is pretty darn cheap (I think the sheet Brian bought was 10 -15 dollars. It will make a butt load of ducts. SFR does good work but some things I can make myself if I see how it is done.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt- okay- thanks for the links- I dont really care for the Lindsey Racing one- I'm not positive I like the other either- I've got a pic of one SOMEWHERE where the holes are perfect squares, but rounded edges. Thje original 944Turbo LeMans racer only had three of them, but they were shaped just like the ones on the one you linked- they were toward the driver side- not sure why, but there must have been a reason. I'd rather do that, just b/c I think it looks cool- really though, the reason I don't like hte LR is b/c there's looks like it sticks out a little around the hole & it's way too thick- I want a much thinner one- I mean top to bottom- instead of ~2.5", more like 1.5"- if that makes sense- I'm REALLY not sure about it at all- I don;t like ANY of them as much as stock look- I just want the extra cold air- I would REALLY REALLY like to find a way to flow SOME of the air directly to the intercooler & SOME of it into the engine bay to help cool it down- it could USE it- I know some of he hoods have openings in them to allow air into & OUT OF, which would probably help some- better if it weren't only on TOP of the engine- anyway, do you think there's any way to routet some sort of duct work from the slit that the tow-eye is directly to the intercooler &/or the engine bay? I guess I need to look at it when I remove hte panel, but, *** of now, I'm not sure about it at all- I DO know that I wont buy one- I just don't see many that fit right- I'll get mine cut- will have to find another one from a wrecked car if I FU** it up...

Does anyone have a pic of the 951 ad- the 2-page one- w/the red street one on hte left & the white RACER on hte right (might be opposite sides) w/all the stats underneath, etc? I REALLY thought I had it on my computer & REALLY need to get it- I'm going to start a thread I guess....

thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 12-14-2003, 03:05 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how much I like the look of the Lindsey fiberglass single one as it appears to stick up and out at the top of the duct where the stock panel would be flatter. Probably helps with air delivery on a racecar where it's important, but I think it hurts the lines a bit up front.

The video that's floating around (I think of the Ohio meet) where the red 951 is following behind another car looks really awesome though....I was thinking it only had a single duct as well.

I have the same plan of getting the panel cut when I go to get a repaint of at least the front end on mine as well. My hood isn't bad, so I've been thinking the bumper cover, the header panel and the headlight covers.

I think I side with Robby on this one...I like the single duct done best. Here's a couple of cars with some nice looking ducting, it looks nice on the black car with the slit in the center, but in a more frontal view that car has fairly squared off edges to the vent which I don't like as much as a rounded one. Having them the same width as the vent below just kind of intergrates it, but I also like the 931 treatment on this red one as it fits well to me. Maybe a little more "racy" but I'm still leaning toward the single vent. The 931 look would require those grills in them to look their best, IMHO.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The black car at the bottom appears to be using a fiberglass panel as I have seen that design before. It looks fine too.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:19 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I'd guess as well, Matt. The little piece down the center looks very smoothly blended and is behind where the sheet metal would normally have been, so it would have take a lot of work to do that in metal for that little piece. Probably helps on a fiberglass nose to give it a bit better rigidity.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Andrew- hope you're doing well. I'm hoping to get all of this stuff done to my car in the next few weeks- maybe we can find a way to meet up or something then... I have a TON of stuff I'm ready to do- it's really alog tedious list, but will be really cool when finished...

As for the panels- that's EXACTLY what I was trying to say about the LR one- I couldn't tell if it was camera angle or not, but, it's as if it has lips that are puckering up top kiss something around the cut-out... I don't like that- I just started a thread to try to find a pic of the original LeMans 951- I THINK it was called the GTP- I can't post pics on RL for some reason- I have a few more cut-out pics I can e-mail you- PM me if you want, but, I think that grey one you posted looks about perfect- I would love to see it from a few more angles, but, from that angle, I think it would be almost exactly what I want- it's thinner than most, it's the same length as the one below, it has rounded endges like the one below (I really don't like squared edges as they don't match at all), etc- I've got a few pics of similar, but, it really looks like that guy made his to try to be identical to the lower one. Another thing that I think ruins the look is when the intercooler is visible under there- the modded ones like LR ones- it looks sort of ool in a way, but overall, I'd rather not have it- of course, I can definately see the benefits- I DO have a pic of a guy on RL who cut his own a LONG time ago- his name was Sean & he had a gold 951- he even made some hard pipes for some people here that were supposed to be really noce- I would actually like to get in touch w/him about those, if he woudl still mess w/them (IF he's even still here)- anyway, he had cut out the dbl oval hole style but he had put some type of mesh-like looking stuff behind it- it was really pretty coool. IT SORT of reminds me of some of the E36M3's- for awhile there, it was becoming the hip thing to have a mesh-like looking box at the bottom of their spoiler- it made it look like a giant intercooler was way down there- sometimes, there actually was, via AA. Anyway, it was really cool looking & they staerted doing it w/a lot of them- not sure exactly what, why, or how, but, it was pretty nice looking IMO- the mesh looking stuff (actually more like thin metal webbing maybe(?) sort of kept the focus off of the inside intercooler stuff..... anyway.... Thanks for all teh input so far everyone....

Quick Reply: 951 intercooler nose vents- suggestions, photo shoppers, etc....???