Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 intercooler nose vents- suggestions, photo shoppers, etc....???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by turbo944
The little piece down the center....Probably helps on a fiberglass nose to give it a bit better rigidity.
That's what I've always wondered w/the fiberglass ones- if maybe they did that little piece for strength purposes(?)- probably so, but I could also see it just being for style- the opening below has one too, that the towing eye fits into, only, it's really not *** visible like that....
Old 12-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys..... Take a look at my recent thread- "Looking for a specific 951 ad...." & click on the link Sami posted- it shows the GTP racer & you can see the cut-outs I was talking about- it's kind of cool- not sure why they shifted them that way... anyway, just thought you might like to see them- I would post them in this thread if I had any luck w/posting pics at all....
Old 12-14-2003, 03:56 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine, dremel all the way. I used some plastic boxes for a template.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn! You only used a DREMEL for that? WOW! Looks like you did a GREAT job- I really like it- it looks like your's are a hair closer to sqaures than the normal ones...
Old 12-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Here's mine, it's just cut to the original panel. Pretty simple look IMHO, fits the original lines somewhat decently

Last edited by Sami951; 07-30-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:15 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah. it's an NA car with a 951 engine and tranny swapped in. I used duct work on the radiator, I still need to work wih the IC tho. That's the Fiberwerks nose. I liked the 931 nose but thought it looked a bit too wide. Thanks for the kind words, it took a bit of work and patience.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:47 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Doing pretty well....been editing the video from the PCA Foliage Run a couple of months ago yesterday and today. Just got the hankering to edit some video, then once that's done it will be back to the 951 CG model.

Sounds like you're like I am....doing pretty well, but doing a million things at once If I get a few minutes this evening, I'll do a nose panel for the CG model and render it with that.....however you'll have to look at my wheels on the car....hehe I haven't modeled any other wheels yet. Nice thing about a rendering is that you can set any angle you want to and render away to really get an idea of how something will work. If you can, email me a pic of your car so I can get a good idea of how to render the color of it.

Yeah, I have to get these darned oil seals changed around the distributor..that dripping onto the exhaust manifold STINKS and you can smell it sometimes sitting at a light or when you have to back up and definitely when you go by the front of the car when it's stopped. If it wasn't leaking onto the manifold, I don't know if it would be too bad to leave it a couple of more months, but I can't stand that smell Should hopefully get to do that this coming week. I'll PM ya again and we can figure out how our work schedules are going and when we might meet up.

The black one in the pic I posted actually has fairly squared edges, although it doesn't look it from that angle. I'll see if I have any other pics of that gray one or another that has a similar cutout. I have only 1100+ pics of 944s......LOL....

If you want the intercooler to not show, I'd guess the best option would be some flat/matte black paint on your ducting. In the right lighting and definitely being hit with a good flash from the front or strong sunlight at the right angle, it could show some anyway, but that's to be expected with a hole leading right to it I know what you're talking about with the mesh, however since the other holes on the front of the '51 don't have it, you'd really have to do it all or it wouldn't look quite right. Some black louvers going all the way across inside it and attached to the bracing (maybe a piece of plastic or sheet aluminum?) and angling the air right could work well, too.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Matt H
Rob - how did you make the ducting? I am in the process of doing the same thing. What did you mount it to? Looks great.
Thanks,

The duct I made is actually up of five individual pieces. There is a top piece that mounts to the top of the intercooler with the original screws and to the top of each side piece. There are also the two side pieces and two lower pieces. The two lower pieces are just simple "L" shaped pieces with holes in them to attach to the original studs used for the factory intercooler duct. The top of these two pieces slips under the intercooler to simple cover the factory paint and provide a one piece look. The bottom of these two pieces slips between the bumper and cover. All the pieces attach to one another using screws and sheetmetal nuts (the kind that expand into a blank hole). Overall it's not tough to do, but it took a lot more time than I would have thought. The side pieces are kind'a tricky to get made so that the fit close to the inside of the header panel. The "pucker" factor was pretty high cutting my panel with a dremel (at least for me), but it was easy to do and came out smooth from the start. I also created a template for cutting them out and used a router like base attachment on my dremel with a used 1/16" endmill from a local friendly machine shop.

Here the links to a couple of more close-up's.

http://members.rennlist.com/rob/interduct%20002.jpg

http://members.rennlist.com/rob/interduct%20006.jpg
Old 12-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sami951
Here's mine, it's just cut to the original panel. Pretty simple look IMHO, fits the original lines somewhat decently
That looks really nice!!
Old 12-14-2003, 05:13 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Dang, I was just about to mention your car Sami....I remembered you had that single one cut into your nose....sweet ride, BTW.

Robby, I have built and am rendering one now (don't know how my first attempt at the Silver Rose will come out though...) with the duct. I know why his looks smaller on the gray one I posted. The lip of it isn't flush with the surface of the panel. It's rolled inward. I looked at the one I modeled and it just didn't look right (I ended up with Sami's right off though ) as it kept looking a bit large...but I noticed a nice shiny/reflective/specular highlight) on the passenger side of the hole....it's rolled in there, not just cut out which makes it look smaller. Overall I think it's the same size where the edge is as Sami's, but when you roll that bit inward around the lip it gives it a smaller opening when finished....anyway, I'll have a rendering up in a bit....although you'll have to tell me how the color matches :P

Excellent work on those ducts posted already....excellent...
Old 12-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sami- what is that that you have behind the hole? Looks like a mesh-like metal or something- a screen of some sort- that's what I'm talking about.... Really cool....

andrew- I don't have any pics of my car yet- I know, I know.... It is a zermatt silver turbo S though- I'm sure I've got one somewhere that's JUST like it- I KNOW I do- it sounds like we have close to teh same # of pics of them though- it's gotten kind of ridiculous- I have so many, I can hardly ever find the ones I want- I have them orgainzed somewhat, but.... Anyway, I'll try to e-mail you a shot of an indentical one.... Oh yeah- the oil seals around he distributor.... I have leaky oil pan seals & mine does it too- are your's the pan seals? The car smokes while it warms up every time I start it up after it's been sitting a day or so- it's getting pretty bad & has been doing it for several years- doesn't do it a s badly in wintertime of course. IT DOES smell like oil though, for SURE. I've gotten uesd to that. I'm going to replace the pan seals, but, that's such a PITA job, I may as well yank the whole engine & rebuild it- that's what I plan to do, but, can'
t do ANY of the work myself... I ALSO need to decide how far to go w/the rebuild- I think I'm going to call JM & see if there's anything I can work out w/him. for the most part, I had decided to go w/a K27 #8 w/MAF, possibly some sort of boost control & a port matched manifold (to go w/my Powerhaus head) & leave it alone, but, every now & then, I entertain the thought of stroking it to 2.8L- THAT'S what I REALLY want- I don't thikn I want to fu** w/stand alone though- Motec (what Milledge uses) pretty much starts @ $7K. WAY out of my league, but if I could just get him to build me a basic 2.8L stroker w/mild crank & flywheel work, a turbo w/injectors, MAF, but, I'm just afraid it will still be out of my league- adding that crank w/pistons, etc just adds too much probably, but, I should at least consider it I guess.... BTW- what does "CG" mean, as in "CG Model"? What type of wheels are you talking about on it???

thanks,
Robby
Old 12-14-2003, 05:27 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

LOL....I have about 200+ pics of mine....maybe 300.....at what point does it become obsessive?

Zermatt....I thought all of the Turbo S cars from 88 were Silver Rose? Or is it the same color but a different name?

I'll answer two with one....CG means computer generated....and so that's part of the reason I have so many pictures of cars and whatnot. I have many GB of pics so that when the time comes and I want to build something, if I've ran across it before and have it, I can save research time later. I did find the pics of that almost no mileage 88 Turbo S, but being indoors it's hard to gauge the color....so I got a pretty good silver and added a bit of red to the color to give it a slightly pinkish tinge.

One of the two locals mechanics races his 87 951 and he apparently has a K27/8 on it. He isn't getting boost till about 4k and he really doesn't like it doing that. He's partly having some A/F problems right now, but we're working with Danno to get him a chip to really get him going better. The 27/8 is really almost too much turbo for what the 2.5 can provide. A 2.8 would do better with it, but considering it's a good turbo for a 3.3 liter 911, having it on an engine nearly a liter smaller would induce a lot of lag.

Yep....a 2.8 stroker would be sweet.....

Anti-aliasing passes going now....2/5 (1st always takes the longest). It would go faster if I'd stop working my computer with everything else though
Old 12-14-2003, 05:40 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use SFR duct work and a stainless "Swiss cheese"

Old 12-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by Robby
Sami- what is that that you have behind the hole? Looks like a mesh-like metal or something- a screen of some sort- that's what I'm talking about.... Really cool....
I'm not quite sure what's the official term for it, but basically just some metal mesh one would put in front of a fireplace or something like that. I didn't do that vent myself, the PO just mentioned they found the mesh at some basic hardware store

Here's another pic which might show it a bit better...

Last edited by Sami951; 07-30-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:53 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Okay....this wasn't quite what I intended, but I've got to head out for a couple of hours and wanted to post it. Let me know how close the color is to yours Robby

I'm still not totally happy with my model yet, so it's still got a lot of tweaking to go....mainly just details though. This is an old one, no wipers or lots of other things yet.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 951 intercooler nose vents- suggestions, photo shoppers, etc....???