Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting under dash find today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Interesting under dash find today...

While disassembling the interior of the latest donor ( 86' Turbo ) I came across the set of keys pictured. The set was nicely tucked behind the center console just above the throttle pedal.
Other than the obvious, a spare set of keys, anyone have any info on the history? Might these have been tucked away by the dealer 30+ yrs ago?
Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts

The little ones are wheel lock keys.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Coloradoguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting find but one must question the wisdom of stashing them all in one place.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

If you were locked out what good would they do you inside the car? I had my S2 for a couple of years before I found a spare key tie wrapped to the rear bumper shock. It was placed in such a manner that getting that @#%^&^$# tie wrap cut was near impossible. Once again if you were depending on that key to get you home you would be SOL trying to cut that tie with a pocket knife. The Porsche crest had fallen out of the key's head and light's battery was way past dead. The key itself had rusted but with a little wire brushing and it worked
Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Could have been a way to help out in a bad way.....

Instead of carrying ALL of these around as a backup, all one needed to do was make ONE copy to open the door and tape it some where. I have even seen single blanks with no head on, tucked neatly in a friend's billfold that unlock the door and access the rest of the keys inside, JUST in case the whole set was lost.

OR, they could have been just what you suggested.... Dealership stashed for convenience.

Want to sell them ? I collect Porsche odds and ends, yes, even such small stuff like this. Orphan keys
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are they for the car they were found in?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ried
Are they for the car they were found in?
Yes, they are.

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Could have been a way to help out in a bad way.....

Instead of carrying ALL of these around as a backup, all one needed to do was make ONE copy to open the door and tape it some where. I have even seen single blanks with no head on, tucked neatly in a friend's billfold that unlock the door and access the rest of the keys inside, JUST in case the whole set was lost.

OR, they could have been just what you suggested.... Dealership stashed for convenience.

Want to sell them ? I collect Porsche odds and ends, yes, even such small stuff like this. Orphan keys
Thank you for the comment. I plan to keep the keys with the car and pass them on to the new owner.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 PM
jderimig
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I picked up my new 84 the dealer could not find the second set keys in the car so I only had the one set. I still have the car. Maybe there is hope yet that the second set of keys is still somewhere in the car....
Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

to the original poster:

I understand. Thanks for the reply back..... I commented on wishing to purchase because I misunderstood it was a core or donor car, not one you were putting back together and on the road.

I would want you to do just that. They belong with the car.

Hope the deal all comes together well. And makes another new owner of a Porsche 944 that much more excited about his ownership of one of Porsche's BEST cars they made.

( and elgy: I responded back to your p/m by way of a returned message on your messages pages. Thanks ! )

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 11-17-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I found a set of brand new keys with wheel lock key set, valet key, and the original Porsche large headed key and number tag in an '86 Sport Touring car I bought in MT almost two years ago. It had even a daub of key lube still on the shank, but dried and yellowed. No scratches on the shanks, as they had never been used.

Had never had that happen with any of the several hundred vintage and sportscars I had bought and sold over the years. I was shocked.

And I kept them unused. They are just the way I found them. Photos of them are on the forum post I started about the car and it's journey to me. They are found in the 'Documenting a 28,000 mile Sport Touring 944' story on these pages.

( elegy: I tried to locate your inbox message to me to respond again and it was no where to be found. Did you delete the private message or was it another 'spam' hack that got eradicated by the system ? )
Old 11-22-2017, 12:13 AM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
I found a set of brand new keys with wheel lock key set, valet key, and the original Porsche large headed key and number tag in an '86 Sport Touring car I bought in MT almost two years ago. It had even a daub of key lube still on the shank, but dried and yellowed. No scratches on the shanks, as they had never been used.

Had never had that happen with any of the several hundred vintage and sportscars I had bought and sold over the years. I was shocked.

And I kept them unused. They are just the way I found them. Photos of them are on the forum post I started about the car and it's journey to me. They are found in the 'Documenting a 28,000 mile Sport Touring 944' story on these pages.

( elegy: I tried to locate your inbox message to me to respond again and it was no where to be found. Did you delete the private message or was it another 'spam' hack that got eradicated by the system ? )
I haven't deleted anything? We are referring to the FUCH message correct?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:14 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

nope, not you Widerstandsfahig

speaking to 'elegy' who posted a message to me, but it has now disappeared before I could reply to him ( about parts )

Quick Reply: Interesting under dash find today...