Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:50 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squealing Brakes

I have read several posts about squealing brakes. Does anyone know if any of the dampers/anti squeak pads/sprays really work? Based on my PPI I have plenty of brakes left, so I don't know what exactly is making them squeak. I'm not a mechanic, is it easy to pull the brakes apart to look at them? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've already read through the archives here, you may have already seen my responses but most brake squeal problems are related to vibration rather than friction material - unless using high metallic content of high carbon content pads (race pads). Anti-squeal shims are effective, but not inclusive. It sometimes takes a liberal dose of anti-squeal (anti-sieze) paste to fully abate the problem. Look for any areas of metal-to-metal contact and coat them. Lubro Moly is about the best there is - but, Permatex and 3M products are more readily available at local parts stores.

There are more things that can help end squeal - like resurfacing rotors, chamfering the pad edges, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had squealing brakes on my 944S. Turned out the pads were glazed from too little use.... so off to the highway it was, and after several pulls to ~100mph and braking hard to ~30 (it should take at least five tries in a row to get even slight pedal fade), problem solved. Try it, doesn't cost anything if you don't happen to get a ticket (you don't even have to go speeding, just work the brakes enough to get fade and see if it helps. Remember to allow them to cool down afterwards, don't just park the car and leave it like that, or you'll risk warping a rotor!)
Old 12-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My brakes sound like metal to metal after a day on the track. It takes several days of gentle use to get them back to normal.

Quick Reply: Squealing Brakes