Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine reinstall 951 questions and some random audio bits

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:49 AM
autocomman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine reinstall 951 questions and some random audio bits

So getting ready to put the motor back in the 951. Came out the top but no way is it goin back in that way. I have the motor assembled all expcet the intake manifold. Gonna stuff the clutch in the bell housing and put the motor back in the bottom. What's the minimum clearance? I have 20 inches from the bottom of the core support to the ground.

Also can I put the mount and crossmember on before I stuff it in? Getting the mount bolts is a pain when it's in place. I can do it once i have it half way up...just wondered if I can do it before I pick it up and if the clearance is good. Am i gonna have to pull the hood to get the clearance to lift it high enough?

And last question, the speaker's, front doors. I've read all about the clearance issues and the speakers that are avaiable that people used dont seem to be available any more. What are people using and keeping the stock grills?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I always put engines in from the bottom - with the cross member in place. But I have a lift, so clearance isn't an issue.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:28 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Yeah, no lift in my backyard haha
Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Put the engine on a furniture dolly and lift the nose of the car up with your engine hoist.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:03 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Where do I bolt the hoist to the body?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Front tow hook.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Hah I jist googled the tow hook..i never would have thought to lift the car there..glad to k ow it's that beefy. Gonna make this job so much easier now!

Anyone have any Insight on the front speakers?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

It may seem like a hassle to go through the bottom, but Ive done it twice on my 951 with most of the engine intact, headers, turbo, and intake manifold. Just need to remove the ac compressor and alternator for some wiggle room. big advise is get a load level, makes re-installation of the motor much easier, for alignment of the rear bell housing to input shaft.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Yeah I have a leveler, coming out the top was a nightmare. Going in the bottom is gonna make this way easier. Ive got the motor pretty much fully assembled on the stand, with alternator and compressor, turbo, exhaust, harness, mounts, crossmember etc. Not gonna put the intake on yet just incase...It will make little things like the heater hoses easier I think and its easy to put on when its in the car.

The only thing im stuck on is the clocking of the oil cooler hoses, especially cause I had em redone, so no more S hose, its a little longer to compensate. Should fit just fine, but I dont know where they were clocked and I know they are gonna be an absolute mother to tighten in place. I may lift the motor up, see where they have to live, drop it down and tighten then raise back up. That though shouldn't be an issue once its chained up.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you need more clearance, instead of using a dolly with wheels, use 2 pieces of cardboard. Preferably cardboard that has a glossy side, like the box of a new TV or something. You put down one piece, glossy side up, as a "track" from outside the car to under the engine bay. Then you put a smaller piece, glossy side down, as a "cart" and put the engine onto this piece.

I've had this trick work with regular cardboard as well, but it took a lot more effort to shove the engine.

Door speakers, I don't know, I'd also like to hear the answer to that question. Maybe you should start a separate thread, though.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:36 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I just used a piece of carpet. Slides real well and you can grab a hold of it.

Quick Reply: Engine reinstall 951 questions and some random audio bits