Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New/ non stock Gear Shift Knob Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Skip
Neat idea, Ben. However, there are two possible problems.... and first, I'd have to check the GCR's to see if that's legal
Nope. Illegal. As is a short shifter.

ITCS 17.1.4.D.4.e: "Shift lever may be bent above tunnel or floor."

No provision for a short shift kit or adding anything that would raise the shifter. However....

ITCS 17.1.4.D.9.b: "... Any shift **** may be used."

Thus, you could create an extra long shift **** as Skip is considering.

In my case, I probably going to bend the shift lever in half above the tunnel and modify some **** to fit the double-wide shift lever.

Not exactly within the spirit of the rules, but certainly within the letter.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Geo
Race Director

If anyone has info on the adapter necessary to use a standard Momo or Sparco ****, that'd be great info and we'd be sure to add it to the inventory.
Hmmmm.....

NISsport could make them.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:21 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a stupid thought, that reflects I just got to the office. Remember the old Shelby Cobra's? The shifter was bent forward.

I imagine you could make any kind of "S" shaped shift **** that would both add height, and move the actual shift **** wherever you want. The problem would be leverage, too much of it to be exact. I bet you would really tweek the shifter mount if you were "in the moment".

I think it'll work, Skip. Tape a ruler to the bare shift lever, and measure the throw at the top, and at the shifter-that'll give you a good idea of how much you need to reduce the throw.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No shift kit allowed in ITS, huh? That might be to the letter, but I know folks are using them at least regionally - and, there's never been a protest problem that I know of. Seems a very silly rule for ITS to cover since it falls into the "doesn't make you go faster" category. Is more of a drivability issue. Oh well. Cup and Spec allow them, too.

My plan was to just use a very tall shift ****, so that's okay it seems.

From the "wish I could have that" files: Fresh in my mind is the sequential gearbox from the Skyline GTR... since JGP was on Speed last night... Anyone see that? Crazy driving conditions... fog and heavy rain - surprised there wasn't more carnage. Porsche still ahead in class over there!
Old 12-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OT but how would one of these look in a 944?

(j/k!)
Old 12-12-2003, 05:13 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oooooh, pistol grip four speed-well played Alex. Then Skip could pull up next to a new Ram and say 'that thing got a Hemi?".
Old 12-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that a pistol grip, or a Buck Knife? lol
Old 12-12-2003, 05:22 PM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the 'Barefoot' accelerator pedal.

jp
Old 12-12-2003, 05:28 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sure-next he'll be throwing on a set of Crager SS mags, and glasspacks. Then you take the hood off, throw on some chrome-

Skip, I'm not too big of a man to tell you I'd be jealous...
Old 12-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

No shift kit allowed in ITS, huh? That might be to the letter, but I know folks are using them at least regionally - and, there's never been a protest problem that I know of. Seems a very silly rule for ITS to cover since it falls into the "doesn't make you go faster" category. Is more of a drivability issue. Oh well. Cup and Spec allow them, too.
In practice, depending upon the area of the country, you generally don't find protests in IT.

Personally, I think the rule is a silly one, but that's just me. Remember that IT was developed 20+ years ago to upgrade SS cars with some simple aftermarket parts. The aftermarket and the the class have evolved greatly since then. I think you'll be seeing some changes to IT in the future, but can't promise.

I've thought about using a SS kit for the same reasons you mentioned. I like the feel of a SS. We'll see.

Quick Reply: New/ non stock Gear Shift Knob Question