Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad realization for a tinkerer...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 06:42 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Unhappy Sad realization for a tinkerer...

I realized something earlier today...

I've got two weeks off at the end of the year, and will pass the time with some car projects. Mainly, I'm just looking to get both cars back up to spec. And when I'm done with that, I'll probably be just about out of stuff that is worth doing to both cars!

The Jetta already has it's shocks/springs, f/r spoilers, 16V lights, wheels/tires, transmission, and full exhaust. It's even got a new shift boot/**** and floor mats. After I install the camshaft at the end of the month, the only things left to do to the car that I've really wanted to do will be the front stressbar and some general restoration stuff (new headliner). At some point we are going to tackle the impending rust issue in the rear, which will also result in new paint, but that'll have to wait until it's warm.

The 944 is aready about maxed out for now. I have to replace the carbecue fuel line, polish the lettering on the cam carrier, and will put on some mud flaps to keep the R-compounds from flipping rocks and crap into the new paint. But aside from that, there's not much left to be done. There aren't anymore worthwhile engine mods to do, and there's no point in doing any suspension/brake mods until I take the time to learn what I've already got.

Now, that's not to say that I can't do some extreme things. A GTI engine in the Jetta would always be fun, as would some more significant suspension mods. And then some serious suspension work on the 944. Hell, maybe even pick up a project car! Unfortunately, since I'm going to be going back to school, it'd be real foolish to **** away money on any big ticket items when I don't have to. And I'm almost out of the small things to do...

I guess these last two years have been busier on the car front than I really gave them credit for...

BB.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like its time to pass the 944 on to someone else and start a 951 project
Old 12-10-2003, 06:47 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but there's one problem. When I put as much effort into a car as I have with the 944, I form an unhealthy attachment to it.

Besides, I really don't need to do anything to increase my financial liability. Unless it's aquiring the Carrera I'm babysitting. But that'll get worked out later...

BB.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two words (and one question mark):

track car?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:52 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately, since I'm going to be going back to school, it'd be real foolish to **** away money on any big ticket items when I don't have to.

BB.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

so by big ticket items do you mean the actual preparation of the car for the track or the money for trips to the track? if it's the former, then start ripping things out (in a nice way)! i always thought of getting rid of those useless back seats, and just leave/add some carpeting
Old 12-10-2003, 07:09 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Preparation.

Since the 944 is the only Porsche that I currently own, I don't really want to start gutting it. Especially since the interior is as clean as it is. I want to keep it all pimpin' for when I go on dates and such.

BB.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Why of course, it is a Porsche...but speaking of Porsches, if you ever do acquire the 911, what in the world are you going to do with it? Or is that not in the cards anymore?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:19 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

If I do acquire the 911 (who's likelihood depends on who you talk to. I'm giving it even odds), then it becomes the pimpin' cruiser for when I'm on dates. It will never see the track. Which is fine, because then the 944 will become the track toy. I probably won't do any severe stripping to it, and probably not any major mods until after schooling. However, it'll be the car that I expose to that sort of flogging.

BB.

Quick Reply: Sad realization for a tinkerer...