Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ebay member warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like one too, but I'm looking at affordability....plus the crasftman seems that it will suit me good....

thanks,
space
Old 12-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2k price tag on the good flukes are a little out there. I was tempted to pick up one of the old school oscilloscopes and just drag it around the shop.
I want something that will do a duel trace and thats about my only requirement right now.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:55 PM
mochman
Pro

Snap -On scope have used to graph speed and ref. senders more than once.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:25 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

is there a link for snap on scopes? i couldnt find one
Old 12-11-2003, 10:59 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

The fluke O scope+ meter is a bit slow.. I can do almost the same thing with my 87-3. Though I can not do the dual trace. That is a great feature. but costs a ton.. Fluke though can be ran over dropped and crapped on and still tick.. IT is the only meter brand that I use.. 2 grand I wish i had to spend.. But in the dual trace world it is the best for a grafic display.. Only thing better is an old tube type.. and drag it around you will.. My company owns the one I use,,, we have both and the hand held is better to drag around... just not as accurate,,
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

oops sorry I forgot this was about yet another crappy ebayer.. There is a site that is getting a bit more attention called ebayers that suck dot com.. I believe that is the name.. at least you can go and check before anyone makes a big purchase...
Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
E-mail the seller and see if he wants to end the auction early. Some do some don't. Depends on what you offer them. Against eBay rules but with millions of auctions going on they never check.

I see other Craftsman units going for $117. Paid too much.
I can see why it's against e-bay rules. One, they don't collect their fee, and two, the buyer has zero protection. There is no ebay record of the transaction, so they can do nothing to protect you and there is no way you can leave feedback after. The deal was between tyou and the buyer, no one else was involved.

Plus, the low 97% positive feedback rating for that seller should have been warning flag in the first place.

Craftsman has no obligation to you, and I doubt Visa will want to get involved with no sales receipt either, but it's worth a try.

I think you'll probably have to chalk this one up to experience.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not against the rules to end an auction early. You have the option of selling to the high bidder at that time or just putting up a reason for the end of the auction. I have bought things on ebay that were local that way. It saves buyer/seller hassle of waiting 7 days for it to end. Most will even list..I reserve the right to sell locally and end auction at any time.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:43 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the Fluke Scopemeter Model 99 Series 2. I love this thing. I use it more and more all the time. Comes in handy when doing current ramp up testing on injectors for my Q45...finds the weak ones real fast. I bought mine used at a Lawrence Livermore Labs monthly surplus auction for $250; even came with a touchless IR temp probe and optical interface cables. You might try some of the University and military auctions if they have them in your area. Good luck with your eBay vendor; sounds like they are pretty much scum from the comments posted by buyers.

Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I just saw that inm another post. The rules are:

Ending Your Listing Early

Use this form to end your listing early. But remember - lots of bidders wait until the very last minute to bid. You may lose potential buyers by ending your listing early.
If you have bids on this listing, or if the Reserve Price has been met, you must cancel all bids or sell to the high bidder(s). You may choose on the next page. (Note: This does not apply if you are ending a listing in eBay's Real Estate category using the Ad Format, because no bidding occurs in this format).

It doesn't say if you have to sell for the actual bid, but I'm assuming that's the case. If not, you're probably doing the deal outside of ebay.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Matt H
Race Director

When you close the auction that way, it asks you, would you like to sell to the highest bidder? OR would you like to cancel all bids?

I dont know about you guys but they charge up front for listing the item to me. Therefore they are not really out anything.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 2Tight
I have the Fluke Scopemeter Model 99 Series 2. I love this thing. I use it more and more all the time.

Steve
The 99 is cool but I want one of the 199B series. The used 99's are still up there in the $350 range. YOu got a good deal on yours.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:23 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

eBay has a limited justification for ending the auction early. None of which is:

"I want to sell it to this guy that just e-mailed me so I don't have to pay you your fees"

Besides the listing fees eBay gets a percentage of what it sells for.

Another point of contention is the One Cent sales where the shipping on the item is totally out of whack. Like $12 for what would be a $3 charge.

As to eBay protection: Just try to use it sometime. Another nebulous eBay "feature".

Feed back is another part that needs to be revised. I've been both a buyer and a seller. The two negatives I have are from me blasting a seller for a bogus description (guitars). They waited till I had left mine possibly knowing full well that they were going to get blasted. I refuse to leave feed back for a seller that will not leave feedback until the buyer does. If it's the last minute then I will blast the seller for being a dud.

As a seller I leave feed back the day the item shipped. If the buyer has fulfilled his side of the deal; funds in a reasonable amount of time, then I leave positive. Only once out of about 70 or so sales has any buyer been recalcitrant. Then I left a neutral and not a negative.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Just to be clear, I have never ended an auction to avoid fees. I have done it for other reasons (like I didnt have to screw with shipping).

I agree with the feedback issue. If I sell, I leave the feedback the day I ship it. If I am a buyer I do not leave it until the item has arrived at my house and has been expected. I have left ONE neutral and the part was not as described (as in it was really cheap junk) but it was only 11 dollars. I think my feedback read: Good transaction, crummy part. That was spot on the transaction and seller I had no problem with and would buy from again, the product just wasnt that good.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Matt H
When you close the auction that way, it asks you, would you like to sell to the highest bidder? OR would you like to cancel all bids?

I dont know about you guys but they charge up front for listing the item to me. Therefore they are not really out anything.
Yes, you're right now that I think about it. It is up front. But I wonder if that's the way our friend did it.

Quick Reply: Ebay member warning