Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal/hydraulics issue - 88' 924S

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:09 AM
Ivory88
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal/hydraulics issue

The clutch slave in my 88 924S failed last week. My problem occurred two months after I started driving it, having rescued it from a barn where it had been sitting for 16 years. Yes, I changed the fluids (and much more) before I had started driving it. When I removed the slave to attempt to rebuild it, it was scored so badly that honing didn't clean it up enough. I bought a new slave, installed and bled it. The problem is fixed. I'm putting it up next week and will be rebuilding the rest of the brake/clutch systems over the winter.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM
jvandyke
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peel back the boot to look for moisture but even that won't tell you if the master is bad or not, the seals can just leak internally and allow pressure to escape inside with nothing apparent on the outside. I've found that hydraulic systems that have gone unused for a period of time often fail shortly after being put back into service. In fact now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure every old car I've deal with needed new master and slaves shortly after resurrection.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

How does the slave cylinder look?
I had to change both clutch cylinders a year and half ago, less then $200 in parts and a few hours of wrenching. I find almost $1000 exorbitant...
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM
jvandyke
Instructor

$953 for master and slave? seriously? I suppose if $700 of that is in grotesquely overpriced Porsche parts? Even so you're getting raped, (IHMO).
You can get the master and slave for about $100 and do them both in an hour. I don't live in a world where spending that kind of money on such things is an option. Maybe that's normal, I wouldn't know it.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
How does the slave cylinder look?
I had to change both clutch cylinders a year and half ago, less then $200 in parts and a few hours of wrenching. I find almost $1000 exorbitant...
Slave looks OK and does not appear to be leaking at all.

I did a bleed (my first time ever bleeding anything) and did get a tiny bit of air out. I'd estimate I pushed about 25-30oz of fluid through the line. Right now it's feeling fairly normal, with a little play before the pedal gives resistance. We'll see if it does it's thing again later on.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:09 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvandyke
$953 for master and slave? seriously? I suppose if $700 of that is in grotesquely overpriced Porsche parts? Even so you're getting raped, (IHMO).
You can get the master and slave for about $100 and do them both in an hour. I don't live in a world where spending that kind of money on such things is an option. Maybe that's normal, I wouldn't know it.
Yea, I know.. little high. This place used to take care of that car, used to be pretty affordable. They've gone a little overboard with the highway rapery lately, it seems.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Yea, I know.. little high. This place used to take care of that car, used to be pretty affordable. They've gone a little overboard with the highway rapery lately, it seems.
Let's be frank (or Joe, I don't care).

It's rape. Can you turn a wrench? This is a $200 parts job plus 1 hour labor for the slave.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 10-22-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jvandyke
it's the master, IMHO
It was the easiest master cylinder swap I've ever done (I usually work on quirky small cars though with master crammed in tight places, this one was a walk in the park!)
J, what year were you working on? I'm having similar (but not the same) issues with my new SPEC Stage 3+ clutch. Not going to the floor and staying there, but also not engaging as soon as I think it should.

I have an S2, replaced the slave but haven't yet replaced the master. If it's as easy as you say it goes on my list.

Thanks,
Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

My son and I got an $800 abandoned project '87 924s about 15 months ago to make into his first car. Wow, we're nuts, right? It's got an '83 944 engine (we found out the hard way when parts ordered for an '87 924s didn't fit.
We're not super happy with our clutch at the moment, everything was new except the PP and something is squealling like a stuck pig, classic TO bearing noise but it's brand new so we have issues in there, also when you clutch is sounds "wrong" like the whole mass is spinning somehow out of synch, I don't know. We'll go in there again this winter, dropping the transaxle this time around, I don't want to pull the engine a third time in a year!!
Sorry, OT.
Yes the master swap on the 924 is silly easy. Slightly hard to get at the nuts that hold it on (by the brake booster)but with universal joint sockets and such not too bad and of course your on your back under the dash for a bit . All the lines and hoses went off/on cleanly and bleeding was easy. I think we had it done in under an hour. I kept the old one, I usually like to just rebuild them but I could not find kits and no idea what the seals are (must not be a thing in the Porsche world?)

So he's been driving it all summer as a rolling resto, We have a long way to go but the car looks phenominal and we're both learning.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:18 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Let's be frank (or Joe, I don't care).

It's rape. Can you turn a wrench? This is a $200 parts job plus 1 hour labor for the slave.
To some degree, there are things I'm comfortable with doing, and others I'm not... and time and patience (and space) is an issue for me. And at 46, I'm not as flexible as I once was.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

at 46, I'm not as flexible as I once was.
My heart bleeds.

I'm 60. If you have 1000 bucks to toss out the window, that makes you richer than me, and I'm rich by most folks measure.

Get hard boy! Get out there! Ride that pony! It's what you signed up for!

Sincerely, good luck and don't sell yourself short. You can do this and all of us will help.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

BTW: When you're 50, buy yourself a lift.

Smartest tool investment I ever made.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM
jvandyke
Instructor

Amen, I LOVE my lift.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:09 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

My heart bleeds.

I'm 60. If you have 1000 bucks to toss out the window, that makes you richer than me, and I'm rich by most folks measure.
Ohh.. I won't be doing that if I can help it. Especially since I just dropped my new-to-me 968 off for $4000 worth of service that I absolutely will not attempt myself. Ouch.

Hah. I'd love a lift. And I would, if I had the room. Unfortunately I run a small manufacturing company in my garage... which also houses one of my...erm...911...
Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I run a small manufacturing company in my garage... which also houses one of my...erm...911...
Well there you have it. You've decided having a 911 is more important than having a car, or a lift for it.

What can I say? In the end, we always do what we want to do. Sometimes we try to fool ourselves and others, but it never really works ...

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal/hydraulics issue - 88' 924S