Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jonas Goldsmith

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 89magic98
What does Jonas mean when he says that you are "rebuilding" his chain tensioner?
My chain tensioner is in perfect condition... what needs to be rebuilt???
Old 12-10-2003, 10:10 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I would have gone for the extra valves.
is that V-Tec ?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

VTech has nothing to do with extra valves... I think SoCal p-shoped that... (good job on that btw, it looks good) VTech on the other hand is a second set of lobes on the cam shafts... At a certain point the cam shifts over to allow the second set of more radical lobes function...
Old 12-10-2003, 10:39 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

SoCal, you made me shoot beer out my nose! I can laugh at this because I too am rebuilding a 16V head. Too funny!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:57 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by K27
is that V-Tec ?
Here:
Old 12-10-2003, 11:20 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok ok enough already ! I was joking.
FFS
Old 12-10-2003, 11:25 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith
My chain tensioner is in perfect condition... what needs to be rebuilt???
On this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&pagenumber=18

I said this:

Originally posted by 89magic98
Are you going to do the cam chain tensioner at the same time? Since you are in there, that's another place where a broken tensioner could cost you another 16 valves.
And you said this:

I know, i am not gonna replace it, but i am gonna have John take it out and "rebuild it".... I am already spending a ton of money, and i don't feel like having to put in another 300... if its rebuilt it will be just fine... maybe a new pad for her, but thats about it...
And this:

plus i am gonna have him rebuild the tennsioner i think....
I read this:

http://boerger.golden-tech.com/image...eplacement.htm

"Now, there is another route available to make matters more complicated.... The plastic ramp is now available from Zims Autotechnik. It is the general consesus of the most knowledgable S2 gurus that replacing only the ramp is not a good idea. Their opinion is that when the original ramp has worn down, the hydraulic part of the tensioner is also ready for replacement. However, some guys are taking this route to save money....The ramp is only $25.00. The jury is still out on who is right because the ramp has only been available for a few months. I recently replaced just the ramp on my 1989, at 92,000 miles. I plan on replacing the entire assembly within a year."

Just curious... since someone on this list may be buying your car.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:26 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Not having taken a chain tensioner apart what is there to wear inside of a machined and ground bore and piston? Is there an o-ring?

If not and high pressure oil has been used as to assist the spring and to lube the piston then I can't see where this can go for the life of the chassis. This is based on years of designing and building perisable tooling for the automated assembly industry.

I would be far more concerned with cracks in the hinkey cast mounting on the head than the possibility of a worn bore and piston.

The only reason I can see for the factory to push the entire assembly is profit.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

I was just gonna have him replace the pads on it... i didn't know what was involved... but as it turns out, the pads look great... In fact when he first took the head apart to inspect the damage, John called me thinking that i had another shop replace the chain tensioner... I guess that means it looks pretty good...

Also, who on the list is buying my car??? No one on here has really expressed any interest.... It seems that the S in general has been getting some bad press on this board recently..... Everyone seems to want a 951 now... Oh well, there are a few possiblities from Roadfly...

Cheers,
Jonas
Old 12-11-2003, 02:25 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

I thought you could only buy the top tensioner pad, and that the bottom pad is not for sale as a separate item.

If you search for "chain tensioner" in the archives there seems to be a lot of debate as to whether you should change the pads or go for the whole assembly at some point in the car's life.

I didn't mean that a rennlister was definitely going to buy the car. But if a fellow rennlister were buying the car, I would think that a "best effort" of discussing the exact maintenance history would be fair. If there was a stong interest in your "S" a few months ago, someone else would have gotten the broken timing belt shortly after they bought it.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:50 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The bottom part of the chain is in tension. The thin pad is like the smooth idlers for the belts. It's there to stop any flapping. Seldom touches the chain. How many times do you really have to replace those idlers for the belts? I bet you still have the smooth idlers that came on your car.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:07 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
How many times do you really have to replace those idlers for the belts? I bet you still have the smooth idlers that came on your car.
Actually, I have changed those idlers twice.

The first time was at ~72,000 miles. One of the idlers had seized, and was slowly rubbing the rubber off the teeth of the timing belt. Caught it just in time.

Now, I don't know if that means that the position of the idler was incorrect, but it would have broken the belt.

And I have a new set of everything (seals, rollers, etc) in a box, will do it probably this spring.

------

I think with the cam chain tensioner, there's probably one mode of failure for 90% of the cases, but it seems like there's might be other, less common failure modes going on if you look at all of the posts.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:10 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the engine yesterday, with Jonas and John. Looking good!

- Julie
Old 12-11-2003, 05:29 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Hey Socal have you ever thought about registering?? I mean if you are going to be annoying at least pay for it.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:15 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by 944S2NUT
Hey Socal have you ever thought about registering?? I mean if you are going to be annoying at least pay for it.
My advice is priceless.

If you think I'm annoying then you deserve the whacks you are getting.

Quick Reply: Jonas Goldsmith