Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:33 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Shipping Wheels & Tires

I sold my chrome 17" rims from the mullet. I was supposed to get another set of take offs that weren't shipped in time.

Aside from the *** that sticks a label on the tire and ships the wheels and tires naked, what have your experiences been, both good and bad packaging wheel & tire combos.

I know the shrink wrap is great, but I dont have any. I have cardboard, tape, and zip ties.

what should be used to protect the chrome finish?

TIA for sharing your experiences.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom-

Last time I purchased wheels from a private party, they were packed very nicely. Each wheel/tire was in it's own box. One each side of the wheel (face and rear) was an extra layer of cardboard to act as a buffer. They came through nicely.

HTH,
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always just gone down to Fedex and bought four individual boxes. It helps to buy a box that is close to the exact size of the wheel to prevent movement. I then put a layer of bubble wrap or newspaper over the front of the wheel to protect the finish. After about 16 wheels shipped, I haven't had any complaints.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:41 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Perhaps it is overkill, but I just shipped some phone dials with tires to the East coast from Kansas City for $85. I shipped them truck freight-the drawback is you need a dock door, or a friend that works at a company that has one (I was that friend).

Stacked the four wheels on the skid, fronts on fronts-rears on rears. To protect the chrome, I would tear some boxes and put a cardboard cushion between the wheels. Again, tear some boxes so that you can wrap around the outside of the tires. I did have plastic wrap, so I strapped them down that way-but I imagine you could just tape the boxes closed with shipping tape. The pallet protects from the sides, and tell them not to stack anything on top.

If I went the UPS route, I would go to my local ricer bling bling supply store, and ask them if they had any leftover boxes from some @0"-22" wheels laying around-ask if you can have them. Put some bubble wrap on top of the wheels-
Old 12-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Ben - the best way is to go to a wheel store and ask them for spare boxes. Wheel boxes have flaps in side to hold the wheel and are much thicker cardboard. Throw some bubble wrap over them and off you go.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:52 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tire rack ships tire wheel combos with cardboard over both sides of the rim and then uses packing strapping to hold them on. Worked just fine with the tread exposed...
Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If it was just the wheels i could get boxes easily. If I cant get boxes 26x26x11 boxes locally i will cut cardboard use string through the wheels and around the tire to simulate the packaging strapping. maybe a second piece of cardboard against the chrome taped to the tire to prevent the cardboard from scratching the wheel if it rubs.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Tom- put a piece of tiny (i.e. not the giant bubbles style) bubble wrap in beteen the cardboard and the wheel, I do that with the ones I ship the way you are describing. It is a little harder to package but it will keep it from scratching
Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i have shipped and received wheels packaged like alpineweiss described. works nicely.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I bought a set of wheels w/ tires on ebay, idiot just threw two wheels in each box, put the lugs in a baggie. No packing. Needless to say, they didn' t arrive in great shape. One center cap was broken, all of them were scratched. Baggie broke open, only lost one lug through the hole in the box. Oh, and one of the tires had a hole in it, don't know if that was pre or post ship.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

when a guy paypals me over $1000 within minutes of the auction's end for a set of used wheels & tires you can be sure i want to take every precaution to make sure they arrive in the same condition they left in.

i guess thats the difference between buying from a car guy, and buying from a jerk who is just getting rid of stuff. problem is you dont know who you are buying from.

when my auction was close to my reserve i ordered new wheels & tires from SLP. that was over a week ago. they are first shipping the un stock items today or tomorrow. SLPs screwing up/delaying the shipment combined with the buyers lightning fast payment put me in a bind for boxes. i could buy 10 boxes from a place on line for 28, but shipping is 55!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom,

I have shipped wheels as Matt described with no problems
Old 12-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my mint 15" phone dials on ebay last year (which in retrospect I should have kept, but I needed the creds at the time)...it was a real pain in the *** cuz I shipped to the States, I had to haul them down to the fedex place, have them weighed, find boxes to fit them, bring them back and tell the auction winner how much it was to ship them, then bring them back down to the fedex place and box and ship them individually. It cost like $120 CDN. The tire sticks out enough on the 15" phone dials so I didn't bother with packing materials. And after all that the guy didn't leave me feedback. Dammit.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

If you are using fedex it costs about 16-20 dollars per wheel without tires (unless they are giant wheels then it will be slightly more. With tire is runs between 85-120. I have now shipped about 6 sets of wheel and countless tires. Those numbers have been pretty close. I always charge 80 dollars, lose a little some times make a little but none of that 150 dollar shipping (when I see that I run away!)
Old 12-11-2003, 04:05 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom-
I have a ton of "saran wrap" stuff that travis sent me to ship his tires in. I put foam over the wheel, then carboard then a ton of this wrap and its more than sufficient. I still have alot left on that role and would be more than happy to give it to ya. pm if interested.

Quick Reply: Shipping Wheels & Tires