Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rothmans Turbo @ Road America- 9/2017

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Jim:
Last Weekend's ELVF ( Historic vintage races, end of season @ R/A ), always held mid September @ Elkhart Lake, WI.

The car appeared to be from Quebec; never saw the owners. It competed in a few of Friday and Saturday qualifications and races, but didn't enter the Porsche Race mid-day Sunday. It had left for home, as many long distance travelers had.
I don't think it's from Quebec, the clue is the Midwestern Council decal on the fender. A quick google search shows John LoGiudice from Milwaukee WI ran the car July 30 at Blackhawk Farms. So it's local.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice job of 'sleuthing' Kurt R

Have you seen it before since you are local as well ?

Were you @ R/A a week ago ?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

No, I wasn't there. It's like all the race groups in my area look at my schedule and say "When is Kurt on call? Let's schedule our event for that weekend." So I haven't been to Road America in about 2 years.
I emailed a friend who will run with MC sometimes, but he wasn't there either. So I emailed another guy I know who runs a 944 in ITS with MC, he hasn't got back to me yet.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious as to why this has a standard aluminum intake rather than magnesium.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:40 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ried
Curious as to why this has a standard aluminum intake rather than magnesium.
Am going to guess that it most likely cracked @ some point and was replaced with the more durable cast aluminum. It happened to many of them and things don't end well when ingesting magnesium into the engine. Magnesium tends to become very brittle with time, heat, vibration stress, etc.

There may well even be rules about it in some forms of racing venues ??? I do not know if it had it's original magnesium oil pan, but guessing most likely not.

( others here with greater knowledge about this than I, please share some thoughts )

And note, it isn't running it's Magnesium optional phone dials either, but rather these newer and stronger, less rare ( as in hen's teeth ) wheels by O.Z. Racing. Last I ever saw Magnesium Cup Phone Dials was off the car and on a collector's garage wall. He said just changing the tires was a stress endurance test ( on himself ) due to the propensity for chipping on the bead and the rareness of their character.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:17 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,220 Posts

I saw him drive past our spot in the paddock a couple of times, I didn't catch him out on the track.

Listed on MyLaps under Group - 8 & 3C, and Porsche Feature Race:
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1461842
Old 09-30-2017, 10:43 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Am going to guess that it most likely cracked @ some point and was replaced with the more durable cast aluminum. It happened to many of them and things don't end well when ingesting magnesium into the engine. Magnesium tends to become very brittle with time, heat, vibration stress, etc.

There may well even be rules about it in some forms of racing venues ??? I do not know if it had it's original magnesium oil pan, but guessing most likely not.

( others here with greater knowledge about this than I, please share some thoughts )

And note, it isn't running it's Magnesium optional phone dials either, but rather these newer and stronger, less rare ( as in hen's teeth ) wheels by O.Z. Racing. Last I ever saw Magnesium Cup Phone Dials was off the car and on a collector's garage wall. He said just changing the tires was a stress endurance test ( on himself ) due to the propensity for chipping on the bead and the rareness of their character.
Typically the mag oil pans are the first to get taken off. Many have been lost over the years due to #2 rod bearing failures, and no way to find another to replace these days. Have also heard there can be porosity problems with the castings and they can leak/weep oil, so have been removed for that reason alone.

The mag intakes are the same alloy and have the same coating as the 87-88 944S intakes. The coating tends to flake off over time, and some have been repainted/coated in other colors, as the original tan/beige color is hard to match and not all that aesthetic.

The mag intakes are honed on the inside, so there is a very slight performance advantage in flow over a standard alum intake manifold, other than saving a few ounces of weight.

Problem I have seen with the mag intakes, it is easy to strip out any threaded bolt holes (for the oil did stick, speed/ref sensor bracket, fuel rail, and front mounting bolt).

I did race mag phone dials for several years. Semi retired them a few years ago to go with larger wheel/tire combos. I have a couple sets of these PDs and did not have any problems with them, though one set that came with a car was in poor enough shape that I have not used them (bent/out of round). One set I got from R. Smith who put some track miles on them. Pretty sure that set came out of Kelly Moss, who would have raced them hard. I have had more trouble with the mag BBS motorsport wheel centers failing.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Anyone know what happened to Bob Van Zelst's green/blue Rothmans car, it was in the Milwaukee area I believe? For sale a few years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Is this a possibility that it's the same car ?

Just a new livery ? I could not detect anywhere on the red car with blue stripe, ANY indication it had been white and green.......
Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Is this a possibility that it's the same car ?

Just a new livery ? I could not detect anywhere on the red car with blue stripe, ANY indication it had been white and green.......

No, different VINs. I was just curious if any of the WI guys have seen the green one around in recent years. Used to show up at RA and I remember it from Black Hawk years ago.

There were a couple red RCTC that I know of in Quebec (probably at least a few more than that). Ray Lum and Alain Goulet's cars.
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oddjob and mrgreenjeans I am continuously impressed with your encyclopedic knowledge of these cars. I learn something new all the time from you guys. Thanks!

Jim, that Rothmans car on the left is currently up for sale via PCA classifieds with a $75K ask.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thank YOU 'ried' for your compliment, but I humbly defer any access to this hall of fame to far more knowledgeable and thorough enthusiasts than I.

Am just a casual bystander observing. And loving all things Porsche. I do look to Jim tho for his incredible wealth of knowledge in the Sport that is Porsche competition, having never advanced to the level of driver skill, mechanical aptitude, or ability to be cool under pressure at the track as he has. Driver's Education and personal track days were as far as my budget and skill allowed me to progress.

I learned from some of the best in 944 trivia: Bruce Anderson. Jim Pasha. George Bueselinck, Dom Miliano, Bill Burris, Dave Derecola, Dave Liddle, Allan Johnson, John Straub, Bill Groschen, our friend Jim Benson, and many others. I give them much credit for what I know and have been friends with them all or touched by their lives in some way, shape, or form.

Thanks also for the posting on the sale ad. Seems to me a quite reasonable value considering the level of work, both mechanical and cosmetic, which has been accomplished.

Beautiful and rare car......
Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ried;14518166Jim, that Rothmans car on the left is currently [URL="https://www.pca.org/node/314690"
up for sale via PCA classifieds with a $75K ask[/URL].
Thanks for finding that. Same seller (owner), was listed for $49500 back in 2011.

Last edited by Oddjob; 10-05-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

This doesn't end well....

for the Cup or the camera car.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

OH NO !!!

this had to have just happened as we left for the Concours and Gathering on the Green, downtown Elkhart Lake.
These guys were just going out to pre-grid when we left early to watch the re-enactment of the race starts from downtown (during the '50s)

I wondered what happened to that Cup !

Anyone know how severe the damage from contact ?

( and thanks for finding that clip Jim ! )

Quick Reply: Rothmans Turbo @ Road America- 9/2017