Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for New Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is an Elite Auto Glass in Colorado. THEY ARE THE BEST! they installed an imperfect windshield in mom's Pontiac a while back. when she noticed it a couple days later, within 2 hours, they had a perfect one in. They are also pretty cheap. I'm gonna have mine done after the winter. no rock dings in my new glass...
Old 12-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MartinT
Spoke to my mechanic this a.m. and he is under the impression that safelite make their own glass or use glass that has imperfections in it.

Red1, whats the impression of the quality of the glass from Safelite

Thanks guys!

MartinT
The windshield has the manufacturer's tag from Sekurit on it. I'm pretty confident it's not a second-tier quality glass. Sekurit is OEM. In fact, after they installed it, an impression was left on me that it's the clearest windshield I've ever owned. I'm very happy with it.

Again, Binswanger sold me a windshield made by Pilkington. THAT windshield was a POS. And they charged me $465 to do it too. And the idiot installer broke my hood release handle. (It was brand new). I'll never, ever use Binswanger again. **** on 'em.

I've bought three of these windshields now. I've found prices ranging wildly from Safelite's low $285 to a high of over $800. It pays to shop around!

My $.02: Get a genuine OEM Sekurit - brand windshield. Safelite was the cheapest I found, but I have no affiliation - buy from whomever treats you right.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:13 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my windshiled. Twice. PO agreed to replace it before I got the car (she had full glass coverage - nice lady). Then I broke it the next week about 10 seconds into changing my droopy hood shocks.

Safelite did the first one for $377 +$40 labor, and used Sekurit (w/antenna)

My insurance wouldn't use Safelite for some reason, so they let me use a local glass shop that my Porsche mechanic recommended:

Housatonic Glass $496 +$45 labor +$20 Urethane Kit (mechanic insisted this was a must-have to prevent leaks.) Also Sekurit.

Anyway, I know it's not local for you, but I thought I'd share the info, and maybe give you a chuckle at my misfortune.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:33 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a quote from a friend who has connections for a windshield install with antenna for $575. I asked Helmut to get somebody to do it up in Arcata, 250 miles away, while he was waiting for my cams be reground. The best guy wanted $1100! I just looked in the yellows I am calling Safelite tomorrow.

I guess there no longer any excuses for not becoming a Rennlist Member.
Thanks Guys

Quick Reply: Source for New Windshield