Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 carpet color help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 968 carpet color help

Time to rip the interior out and finish the rest of my restoration. Planning to bite the bullet and order factory carpet/linings. But I'm having trouble with the color...

Sticker codes say "Classic Grey". But as the pictures show, there's quite a difference between the leather and carpet--enough to make me question what the carpet truly is, or if is just faded (particularly on the shelf behind the seats). For all I know, a previous owner may have replaced this before.

I also see listed "Light Grey" or "Carrera Grey" (up to "93, mine is a '94) and "Marble Grey" (from year 94). So I'm looking for input.

Any experience or thoughts? Thanks!

And the back shelf....seems very light colored/possibly faded? Maybe just the angle?

Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I had an 88 CE that had the silver grey carpet and it was faded. Bad. My other 944's with burgundy, brown, linen and black interiors faded much less. Don't know what it is about the gray that makes it fade so bad but if you want to know the true color, take out a seat or the center console and see what the carpet looks like that hasn't been exposed to sun.

Also, some carpets fade after they are shampooed. Something in the chemicals they use cause the carpet to lose lightfast-ness. Again, look under a seat or the console to see what it originally was since those areas are less likely to see the shampoo.

But if you're going to order from the factory, it doesn't matter what the color is called, the color code on the option sticker will get you the color it is supposed to be. It won't be the same color as what's in there because it won't be faded but it will be correct.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Also see this page for pics of the different interior colors. Maybe it will help determine which color is actually in your car if it's been changed out.

http://968register.org/interior-codes-statistics/
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Good luck with the ordering of carpet regardless of color - Porsche has very limited stock the last I checked. Aftermarket 944 sources are good for the main cabin, but the rear section is not the same as the latest version of the 944.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi,

Your car looks to have interior code TU which is the light grey/classic grey partial leather two tone option. That said, your carpets are light grey in color. This was a color that was only available from 92-94.5.

Your window sticker should read something like "PART LTHR LT GREY-CLASSIC"

Jeff
Old 09-20-2017, 12:08 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Jeff. This is why I'm confused. All of the leatherette is definitely Classic Grey, not a two tone (like the Light/Classic picture on Registry site). The Classic Grey picture there is much more representative of my car, just darker carpet. Trunk sticker is "TT"...Classic Grey, Partial Leather

I'm going to chalk it up to fading, and order classic grey replacements; but thinking about/leaning towards deviating the door tops and top dash to black, so factory replication is moot.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, TT is definitely partial leather in full classic grey so your interior "should" all be the same color of classic grey unless you have something special order. The photo below is my old cab which had the TU light grey/classic interior but to make it even more confusing, my old car had the optional deviated carpet in classic grey.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 968 carpet color help