Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six years parked

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:54 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Six years parked

Well, I guess it's time to get the '88 924S back on the road again.

Back in 2010, I tore my Achilles tendon. Had to stop driving the 924S and 911 due to clutch heaviness. Wound up driving my Saturn due to it's feather-light clutch.

After about 2.5 years, the tendon no longer hurt like hell (no coverage, no $35,000 surgery) but by that time... the windshield had gotten broken due to a careless kid (who finally, just a few weeks ago, admitted to it) the brakes had seized up, the starter had gone bad, and it needed new tires... bad.
So it continued to sit. It was driven just one time, late 2013, when we moved.

Recently decided to get it back on the road again. A Pelican friend came up from California and helped do some work about a month ago. I had replaced the starter to get it moving a bit. He did new timing/balance belts, unseized the brakes (geeze, where they ever bad...just that took a few days) and did a few other much needed things.
After the initial brake unseizing and brake fluid flush, we drove it slowly around the block a couple times, then measured the brake calipers with a laser thermometer, after we noticed one was smoking. A whopping 380 degrees. Back to the drawing board... they're OK now, but those calipers should really be replaced.

Anyways... it moves. It starts and runs, but there are some vacuum leaks to sort out. And a windshield to replace. Overall, it faired OK for being parked outside in the Seattle weather. It didn't mold. Dash cracks didn't get any worse.. And mice didn't eat up the wiring.

My biggest gripe right now is that I need to replace the rear interior panel that wraps around the driver's rear 1/4 window. Somehow the rearmost part of it curled away from the body (near the hatch shock and while looking into a sunroof motor issue, I wound up pulling out the body plug from the cardboard backing... And of course, it's an NLA part...

Any good rear aftermarket brake calipers available? I can't seem to find any... and OEM are over $1000 each.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

if you take your calipers to Autozone or Oreilly they can send them off to be rebuilt for a good price.
re-man original is your best bet on these, or just good used ones, they are everywhere.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:15 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
if you take your calipers to Autozone or Oreilly they can send them off to be rebuilt for a good price.
re-man original is your best bet on these, or just good used ones, they are everywhere.
There's some pitting....

When I get things more sorted during the winter, I'll probably send them to a local place called Gold Line Brakes, who I hear can make just about anything just like new again...
As they sit now, they've been gone over with rebuild kits. They're functional, but not great.

Quick Reply: Six years parked