Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cone air filter on 944S2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I sort of also read between the lines that you'd rather have the stock air box?
IDK to be honest, if I had received the stock airbox with my motor, I might have used it (it's a decent design), but I also like to tinker with things.

I haven't drank the kool-aid that cone/K&N filters do anything for performance. I think they make the car sound different (imo better) because you can hear more of the intake noise but no performance gains.

The downside with the cone filter there is it gets really, really dirty. So it does need to be cleaned/inspected frequently, more so than a stock filter that is protected by an air-box.

I have some concerns with water egress into the intake with the cone filter there. It seems like if I'm driving down the highway in a rain storm there is going to be a steady flow of rain splashing onto the filter, which in turn would be sucked up into the intake. Not significant enough to hydrolock the motor, but it would have impacts on performance right?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Seems the S2 air box is quite clever in design, anticipating some neglect due to it's placement. My understanding is only 1/2 of the large filter is used at one time. When one side clogs to the point of restriction a flapper responds and directs airflow to the cleaner side. Mine is missing the flapper, sacrificed no doubt to a PO who was looking for a bit more performance by allowing air thru the whole filter. I put a "high flow" aftermarket air cleaner element in my S2 but took it out and returned to stock Porsche element. I couldn't tell any difference and felt the stock element provided better protection. I have seen a cone setup on EBAY for the S2 but it's still behind the header panel. Your mileage may vary.
There is no flapper in the stock box, its just a plastic piece that makes a tuned port for the intake opening of the box. Its to small of an opening IMO. I removed mine as we drilled a few holes in the front of the box to get more air in it for the 968 swap. During the winter, i cover the holes with hvac tape and put the plastic bit back in so i don't have snow/icing issues.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
There is no flapper in the stock box, its just a plastic piece that makes a tuned port for the intake opening of the box. Its to small of an opening IMO. I removed mine as we drilled a few holes in the front of the box to get more air in it for the 968 swap. During the winter, i cover the holes with hvac tape and put the plastic bit back in so i don't have snow/icing issues.
I got my info here on the S2 site, guess I was wrong about the flap. http://www.944s2.com/default.htm
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
I got my info here on the S2 site, guess I was wrong about the flap. http://www.944s2.com/default.htm
I found what you were referencing, its not a flap, hes just saying once the more exposed half gets dirty, it starts pulling through the part thats covered by the plastic.

The filter would have to be crazy dirty for that!
Old 01-08-2023, 06:01 PM
beta2007
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just an idea of another option

This is a 16” height K&N universal cone. Don’t think they make it anymore but it gives you and idea of size. 4” inner flange diameter with a neck down on the metal elbow down to, I believe, 2.5”

Quick Reply: Cone air filter on 944S2?