Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-car replacement for trailing arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:42 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default In-car replacement for trailing arm bushings

I have my eye on some Elephant racing monoballs for the rear trailing arms (where they mount to the torsion carrier) but don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the arms off the car until I'm reading to do a full refresh. Anyone have a good method for driving out the steel races for those bushings? I have all sorts of tools, but not a welding setup.

My main concern is dropping the forward half of each arm low enough to clear the mounting brackets, since the arms will still be bolted up to the spring plates. I can do the whole cutting/pounding thing if there's proper clearance but I don't see much in the way of first-hand experience. The last thing I want to do is **** up the old bushings and then not be able to complete the job without pulling the arms - if this is simply a bad idea I'll just wait until a complete refresh is in the cards.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

With the arm still attached to the spring plate you won't be able to get the trailing arms off the torsion carrier.
Not enough "twist" allowed.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you were trying to 'fix' one broken part it makes no sense to upgrade this.

it would be devilishly hard with most of the rear intact.

It is VERY easy to damage the aluminum trailing arms during removal.

Save up. Buy all the bushings you want to replace, then drop the torsion carrier and do all at once.

With it out its not that bad.

I did it once in a driveway on jack stands.

And another time in a warm garage.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:20 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this, and would suggest pulling the arms, it's not so bad. I can't imagine burning the old bushings out right next to the gas tank...

Originally Posted by nkgosselin
Unless you were trying to 'fix' one broken part it makes no sense to upgrade this.

it would be devilishly hard with most of the rear intact.

It is VERY easy to damage the aluminum trailing arms during removal.

Save up. Buy all the bushings you want to replace, then drop the torsion carrier and do all at once.

With it out its not that bad.

I did it once in a driveway on jack stands.

And another time in a warm garage.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

All I can tell you is that the Elephant Racing "Split Bushing Removal Tool" will *not* work. I emailed them about it and they said it's not the right size for the rear bushings
Old 09-13-2017, 03:24 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'll just be waiting until I have a reason to drop the whole assembly. I have rear wheel bearings to do as well, but I'm really trying to avoid big projects on this car until I make more headway on the 951. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Originally Posted by nkgosselin

If the bushings are original 1983 rubber, you're implying that there's no improvement to be had? This is just a street car, but maintaining good alignment during cornering is always a plus. The NVH would be a non-issue due to the mounts between the torsion bar assembly and the chassis.

Originally Posted by divil
All I can tell you is that the Elephant Racing "Split Bushing Removal Tool" will *not* work. I emailed them about it and they said it's not the right size for the rear bushings
I saw that tool on their site the other day....figured that, since they specifically stated which bushings it was applicable to. I wonder if anyone makes a more universal/less expensive version of this tool. It looks like it costs $3 to make.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

split bushing removal tool?

you mean the BFH?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odonnell
I have rear wheel bearings to do as well, but I'm really trying to avoid big projects on this car until I make more headway on the 951. Thanks for the input, everyone.
I didn't catch if this was an early or late model, but rear wheel bearings in steel trailing arms are not a bad job at all. Just make sure you have some big a** sockets and a cheater bar to match.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikehayes
I didn't catch if this was an early or late model, but rear wheel bearings in steel trailing arms are not a bad job at all. Just make sure you have some big a** sockets and a cheater bar to match.
Funny you mention that, I actually just got the last of the parts I need for this job 20 minutes ago in the mail. Steel arms. I got this tool, which from what I read on VW boards, makes removing the axle nuts really easy:

http://www.bughaus.com/axle_nut_remover_-_7023.htm

VW part sources were great, even the bearings and hardware are the same. I ended up getting a ton of stuff for refreshing the rear end from them, for really cheap.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odonnell
Funny you mention that, I actually just got the last of the parts I need for this job 20 minutes ago in the mail. Steel arms. I got this tool, which from what I read on VW boards, makes removing the axle nuts really easy:

http://www.bughaus.com/axle_nut_remover_-_7023.htm

VW part sources were great, even the bearings and hardware are the same. I ended up getting a ton of stuff for refreshing the rear end from them, for really cheap.
That's cool; old railroad locomotives used to have 6 or 8 inch wide hex nuts on them. I asked the guy at the museum how they would take them on and off, same idea. Big box end thing with some paddles on it and a couple of big guys with sledge hammers. I went the harbor frieght 3/4" breaker bar method. That way I could do some rough torque calculations when it came time to put it back on. Make sure it's nice and tight or you'll be doing it all over again.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
I can also verify the tool doesn't work on the split front bushings either, at least it didn't for me. Even after I took it to a shop and we tried using it in a press, it didn't work and we eventually tore the "teeth" or whatever you call them, off the tool.

I was also told the tool is only meant to be used with the arms "on the car" for 911s.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 09-20-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:04 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I can also verify the tool doesn't work on the split front bushings either, at least it didn't for me. Even after I took it to a shop and we tried using it in a press, it didn't work and we eventually tore the "teeth" or whatever you call them, off the tool.

I was also told the tool is only meant to be used with the arms "on the car" for 911s.
This is an older thread, but I though I'd update to report that Elephant Racing *may* have updated this tool, as I bought one and just successfully pulled out the trailing arm bushings out of my 924S with it. I don't know if the failed attempts mentioned used heat with it or not. I did use heat, and although it still took some decent whacks, the sleeves came out MUCH more easily than the last time I did this, which was by cutting them with a hack saw and caving them in. I do have the arms-and the rest of the rear suspension- off the car for a full refit.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:16 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
I bought one and just successfully pulled out the trailing arm bushings out of my 924S with it. I don't know if the failed attempts mentioned used heat with it or not. I did use heat, and although it still took some decent whacks
I hope, if Elephant has updated the tool to make it work better, they're offering a discount to previous buyers? I'm certain this won't have been the last time I need to pull those bearings...

Regards,

Quick Reply: In-car replacement for trailing arm bushings