Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-sieze vs Locktite

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anti-sieze vs Locktite

Since a lot of engine bolts break (from what I've been told) and have to be drilled out, why not use anti-sieze instead of locktite? After all, wheel lugnuts don't come loose, and they have anti-seize on them.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:41 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anti-sieze vs Locktite

Originally posted by Dash01
After all, wheel lugnuts don't come loose, and they have anti-seize on them.
They don't?!?

Why would you want to use loctite on engine bolts? Like you said, the bolts break. What happens if you can get them out after they break?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:01 PM
mochman
Pro

Anti-seize bad on lugs, part of what keeps the lug tight is the friction between the metals.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:01 PM
mochman
Pro

Anti-seize bad on lugs, part of what keeps the lug tight is the friction between the metals.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:18 PM
jim944s2
Racer

as long as you periodically check the torque of your lugs you should never have a problem, I've never had one back off. The real problem w/ lugs is when some stoner auto-shop worker puts an alloy lug on w/ a air wrench, -that has happened to me. it broke in half while I was trying to get it off (over the 250lb limit of my torque wrench). fun-fun
Old 12-05-2003, 11:57 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

mochman, anti-sieze not bad on lugs, anti-sieze necessary on alloy nuts. Porsche puts anti-sieze on from the factory, they don't do that just because they have some lying around and need to use it. Without any anti-sieze on the threads the alloy nuts will SIEZE.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:09 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

thats why i specifically tell guys at the tire shop, when i used go, to not use an air wrench on anything, and to torque the lugs on at 90lbs. i always tell them exactly what i want, how i want it done. i dont get **** from them, and im never disappointed, cause they followed my directions. now im luckey my dad has his own tire mounter, balance and weights in his garage, so i can just do it myself. you know, if you have the yellow or red mark on the tire wall directly out from the valve stem, your wheel will be balanced more than 90% of the time??

end rant....

i only use anti seize on parts that are supposed to be super tight, but must come off at a moments notice by hand.. IE fan belt/generator nut. lugs are only at 90 ft/lbs.. why the hell do i want anti-seize on there?

as far as engine parts having anti seize.. if its supposed to come out as part of regular maintenence.. yeah.. if its not supposed to come out, no.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Anti-seize is used to prevent galling. Locktight is to help keep bolts/nuts from loosening. Lugs get anti-seize becuase of the frequency they are taken on/off and the temperature and abused they are put through.

Matt
Old 12-06-2003, 01:34 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use anti seize on anything I don't want seizing up like exhaust bolts, bell housing bolts (nothing like a tight bolt there with no space to turn a wrench and no leverage), lug nuts, etc. It will let you accurately torque down your bolts. I love that stuff and never had problems with anything backing out, because I tighten the bolts properly.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:46 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I also use anti-sieze on everything I possibly can, including spark plug threads. If you ever loosen a "dry bolt" quickly with a socket wrench, feel how hot it is once you finally get it out.

My father heard some new "rumor/speculation" that using anti-sieze might "fool" a torque wrench so that you over-torque a bolt, but neither of us believe it.

Also, I think the trick here is also not to goop on so much that it runs out of the threads on either side of the hole. And try not to get it all over everything. I have never had a bad experience with anti-seize - other than
making a mess everywhere.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:48 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

anti-sieze is like the BLOB, Touch it and it is all over you. almost worse than a broken ink pen. Plus I would rather retighten a loose bolt than drill out a stuck one..jmho. Though I have never had to retighten one. IT lubes the threads. thus a tighter fit..If you dont beleive it, Try puting together a pipe fitting one with nothing, one with thread tape, one with antisieze. check out how far each one assembles. To total tightness with a wrench. Then take them apart see which one tightend farther and which loosened the easiest...

Quick Reply: Anti-sieze vs Locktite