Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autothority MAF & Chips = Lots of smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked everything again because it's daylight now and I can see something and this is what I find:
- When I start the engine there's a lot of white smoke (it looks white to me)
- When I remove the oil cap the white smoke gets less, but it's still there
- When I give a little gas (from about 2000rpm) there's no more whitesmoke with the oil cap
- When I give a little gas (from about 2000rpm) there's no more whitesmoke without the oil cap

What could this be??
You are running too rich...I know rich smoke is black, but when you are running very rich it can start as a whitish smoke, somebody else had the same problem on the turbo board.

The reason why it doesn't smoke with the oil cap removed is because you are allowing a lot of extra un-metered air (the fuel injection doesn't see it so it doesn't add any more fuel) to lean it out.

Are you sure the chips you got are for the maf kit and not just autothority chips? They do have maf specific chips. I'm sure you could call and verify the numbers on the chips if you aren't certain.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:09 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autoauthority chips have always had a tendency to run really quite rich from the factory for some reason.....no one really knows why they do they just do.....it sounds like you are just running rich......i smoke a little as well....my a/r is 12.4......do you have a wideband o2 to check you a/r???? the autometer gauge might help a little in telling but, not really since its based on a 2d map and the wideband is a true 3d.Do you have a dyno anywhere near by?? if you dont have a wideband o2 go strap it to the dyno and they will tell you what you a/r's are like.

by the way welcome to the community.

and welcome to the boost addiction
Old 12-05-2003, 12:33 PM
ali_turbo86
Intermediate

as far as I know these *are* the MAF chips yes. Perhaps I could call, not a bad idea.

I havent visited a dyno yet since:
- Its far away
- I wasnt sure this was supposed to be this way

Unfortunately i dont have a wideband sensor either (since they cost $500 )

If you guys all really think it's fuel i guess it's just OK ?

Oh one more note:
When I lean the mixture, at a certain point the engine starts running poorly (which is logical) however *even* then the white smoke continues! How can it run lean and still produce smoke ?

With adjusting the mixture i did manage to get the black smoke away.

@porshhhh951: thanks and what an expensive addiction it is
Old 12-05-2003, 01:02 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you have a cat on the car I dought it fuel smoke. I had a similar problem when I switched to larger injectors(no cat). White smoke at idle. After playing around with my arc 2 fuel controller and fuel pressure. It went away. I was getting a perfect idle even with the higher fuel pressure. When I dropped fuel pressure the smoke went away. If you plan to lower the pressure make sure you don't run lean up top. If you have stock fpr and injectors This doesn't apply to you.
Since it's a used maf check that there is no oil or dirt on the hotwire that can throw your mixture off as well.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:20 PM
ali_turbo86
Intermediate

i think it has a cat yes. The car is stock as far as the engine/fuel/etc is concerned. To check the MAF i've to disassemble it, right ?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 PM
ali_turbo86
Intermediate

humn ok new info:

I just drove the car for about 5km's to get new gas and after the trip the car didnt smoke at all! So i let the engine running for a couple of minutes and slowly the smoke returned
Old 12-05-2003, 10:04 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

you might have a air leak somewhere,or do you have the stock FPR or a 3bar FRP.when i had a autothority MAF system + my 3bar fpr(from guru setup) i smelt strong gas smells and alot of smoke.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:07 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to rain on your parade, but it sure sounds like a headgasket to me. Smell the exhaust and if it smells sweet, it's burning coolant and at that point there is a 99% chance its the headgasket. My last experience w/ this sounds like the same symptoms you are having. Smoke (white) on startup, going away gradually as it warmed up. I dont wish this on anyone, but it seems to me that modding a 951 is going to at some point cost you your HG. mine cost just over $100 in parts and materials, most of which I already had hanging around.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:44 AM
ali_turbo86
Intermediate

Its not the headgasket; it doesnt smell sweet and the coolant level doesnt seem to change.
Also there's no coolant in the oil or vice-versa.

Thank God!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:10 AM
special tool
Banned

Ali - if you are getting results with the movement of the Autothority potentiometer, then send me a pm and I will tell you how to wire in Porsches air temp. sensor from the original AFM. I have helped a lot of guys to do this, and it renders the potentiometer MAF completely maintenance free. - Jim

Old 12-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be rather easy to find out if you are running too rich. You should install air/fuel gauge. Even though you don't have any problems it is very cheap "life insurance" to have a gauge ! MAF/MAP kits usually needs quite a lot adjustment to have air/fuel correct. To be sure without a gauge just change back your original AFM & chipset.

Quick Reply: Autothority MAF & Chips = Lots of smoke?