Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Urgent Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Urgent Help!!!

I was not able to start the 84 944 NA daily driver for the past couple of weeks (resorted to driving the 951):

1) There was no electrical power current whatsoever (no lights on the dash, starter would not crank).

2) I assumed it was a weak battery

3) I bought a portable jump start battery today and attempted to jump start it

4) Used the recommended jump start procedure:
positive to positive; negative to ground

Still no electrical power current whatsoever (no lights on the dash, starter would not crank).

I hear frequent posts about similar problems due to a faulty DME relay or DME unit. Can anyone help me with these questions please?

1) I checked the early 944 layout diagrams for the relays:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1...fusepanel.html

2) I do not see a relay for "DME relay". Would this be the "fuel pump relay" as shown in the pic in the link above?

3) How do I remove the relay....do I simply pull it out gently?

4) Could a faulty DME unit also be a cause?

5) Any other possible causes?

I would appreciate any advice from Rennlisters on the steps for diagnosing the problem.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by ACG; 12-03-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

No electrical current, and no signs of fuel delivery, and this happening sudden points all fingers at the DME relay, unfortunately i don't know how to replace it, but i would get a new one anyway, cause if that is not it, it will go out some day.

sorry you had to drive the 951.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:24 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

Bad bat cable . check the connection at the starter end and at the bat.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Battery cable to the starter. Probably lots of corrosion. Also, if you are grounding to a source that is not very conductive, you will have the equivilant of a bad ground. I know it is not proper, but I have always connected the neg to the neg when jumping. If the "dead" battery has a good ground it should work just the same.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If he ran the negative to a ground, not the battery, that says to me it's a bad hot lead from the battery. That or there's no charge in that jump start battery. What is a jump start battery anyway, wouldn't you have to charge it first?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:11 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

dme relay will have no effect on cranking or dash lights, look elsewhere for your problem. If the battery in your car is stone dead, it is possible that a jump battery will not be able to start the car. If you have jumper cables you might try to give it a charge from the 951, hook them up and let the turbo run for a while, an hour or so, then try to jump it with the jump box. If that does not work, get a decent voltmeter and start tracing the problem, check voltage at the battery, check available voltage at the starter, check condition of the grounds etc. Good luck
Old 12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He said he has no lights after attaching the jump battery. That means one of two things: the car battery is not connected to the electrical system; or there is no power in the jump battery.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the advice.....

1) Yes, good idea to order a DME relay backup (even if it turns out a faulty DME is not the issue)

2) This is the portable jump start battery I am using (see pic below)....

3) I checked....the portable unit was was already fully charged when I tried jump starting the car battery...so, it doesn't sound to be a problem with the portable unit...

3) If the jump start battery is fully charged...and hooked up correctly to the car battery....but I am still not getting any current whatsoever (e.g., still not gauge lights)........this probably means that I have a break in circuit from the battery to the starter....or to the ground.....

4) I am going to check in the next couple of days, including cleaning the battery contacts....

Thanks for the leads (no pun intended!). Will keep you guys posted....

Andrew
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2003, 07:54 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Since there are no dash lights or anything, I second the battery connecions. Get a wire brush and clean off the bettery teminals and the connections. If you need a multimeter to further diagnose the problem, Harbor Freight has one for $3.99.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:27 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm leaning toward no battery connection???
Old 12-03-2003, 09:03 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

If it turns out to be a bad cable ,we have a guy on the board ( ICESHARK )who makes these and gets rave reviews for his work. I suggest you post a new topic " help iceshark "
Old 12-03-2003, 09:31 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Iceshark....here I come!!!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 08:24 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is the conclusion....

It was a totally dead battery...registered at 2.4 amps... so dead that the portable jump start unit was of no help....

I replaced it with a new battery, and it started right up.

Unfortunately, I was hit with another gremlin....one of the rear tires went flat on me....there is a huge nail that has taken quite a liking to the poor ole tire.

Time to replace all four tires anyway! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Andrew

Quick Reply: Need Urgent Help!!!