Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuing this whole "Is 130 on the highway ok" discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dave951M
I'd like to put in a bit here.

Don't complain about having to work an event like an autocross. If everybody had that attitude, no auto-x would ever get done. Auto-x is one those events that isn't put on by a professional staff, on somebody's payroll, that has to be scheduled a year in advance. If you want to play, you've got to pay. To carry this a bit further, most amatuer races, track days, and DE events are put on and worked by volunteers. We don't do this just for you to come out an get your speed jollies while we stand idly by and watch. We like to drive too, so expect to do you time in the corners with a flag. If any of these events required professional workers, expect much, much higher entry fees, putting it even further out of the reach of the average guy. The point is, do your time both in the seat and on the course. You might learn something watching up close.
Well said Dave!!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This really bothers me. What does going 130 mph on the highway ALONE with no cars around have to do with street racing?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Legoland, it has to do with travelling above the speed limit in a potentially dangerous manner. I agree, racing someone on a street downtown and going 130 on an open highway alone are different. I was going off on a tangent on the high-speed issue.
I’m sorry BC, Canada has a problem with drag ricing. The local officials shouldn’t be sponsoring it by build one to support the habit but enforce the infractions and prevent the deaths. They’re not doing you a just service in my opinion.
Yes there is a problem with drag ricing in Vancouver. But the police are not sponsoring it, they are acknowledging that it does exist and trying to educate those who do it what the consequences can be, and where a good location to race is. In fact by doing this they are "enforcing the infractions and preventing the deaths", as young racers become more aware of what will happen if they are caught.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I say just let all the street racers/rice boys have their own island somewhere where they can race each other until they all kill themselves, and hopefully thay haven't already breeded, so that will be the end of their kind.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:33 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Legoland951
This really bothers me. What does going 130 mph on the highway ALONE with no cars around have to do with street racing?
They go racing on highways, then loose it in a corner cause their hondas cant handle that kind of driving. Or hit a hump in the road and go flying into opposing traffic, thats happened a few times.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:05 PM
rareblack944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave951M,
sorry if it sounded like i was complain about having to work at events. What i was trying to say is that most teenagers aren't willing to "work" for an hour to get three auto-cross runs in. But i do think that working for that hour has got to be better then standing/sitting around in the grid/pit area like i do now.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I auto-x, I make it a point to work at least two run groups, on different parts of the course or the false grid. Folks ducking working a run group really frost me because the event is slowed down while workers are found to fill the positions, leading to fewer runs, and griping by those who don't pitch in and help keep the show "on the road" and griping on the part of those of us who work double and triple shifts.

Like you pointed out, it's usually teenagers who think we work the course so they can play while we watch. Last auto-x I did, there were several of us who worked three out of four run groups (everyone should only be doing ONE at our events) and didn't get in the amount of runs we were due. This isn't the fault of the organizers, but of the kids who nearly overrun each event. Even threatening to toss their best time doesn't phase these guys, they aren't there to do anything but drive fast and against each other. So, tossing an official time means nothing. At the same time, how do you know who's going to no show at corner time? It's a real pita to me about auto-x around here, so I've about quit. Not worth it to me to pay $20 to go out, work up to three groups, get sunburned (soaked, frozen, whatever) and get in only two, maybe three runs and grind my tires up to boot.

Back on the thread, arguing about driving 100+ on a deserted highway by yourself is really goofy. It's not street racing. Did I see someone else say that Vancouver had a problem with "drag RICING"?

Quick Reply: Continuing this whole "Is 130 on the highway ok" discussion...