Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shop manual?

anyone know where to get or has an extra to selll 1985.5 944 shop manual (or one covering this year)? i got the haynes manual but its pretty much junk (thats what you get for 10 bucks...) I was looking for an in depth manual. For my range rover i have 2 somewhere near 700 page books for it.. jsut wondering if anyone knew of anything like this for this car.

thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 06:55 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shop e-bay for it on CD. It is copyrighted so beware (it's a no-no to talk about it on Rennlist... don't want the heat on John D.). Other than that be prepared to open your wallet big unless you find a deal.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

i looked on ebay, dont see it ever on there, thats why i was wondering if there was any where else to get it, even if its expensive
Old 12-01-2003, 06:58 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most places sell the actual Porsche shop manuals in the binders(6 volumes) for like $250 i think....that will cover all the 8V N/A's
Old 12-01-2003, 07:09 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

I've seen them in either Tweeks or Performance products. Can't remember which. If I remember correctly they were several hundred dollars.

Unless you're in a hurry, be patient and ck e-bay frequently as the sales come and go quickly (for obvious reasons). Tons of guys have them here but with only 43 posts (as of writting this) you might not get someone willing to help you out with a copy on this board (no offense meant).

If you need some specific info for a repair just post your request and you'll get tons of "free" help. It's the Rennlist way ya-know!

Take Care,
Cory
Old 12-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Thanks cory, i wasnt expecting anything cheap, and i know im still new here, just signed up a couple weeks ago. was just looking for a little direction. thanks though for the advice
Old 12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Anytime and welcome btw!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search and see what you find.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:46 PM
major
Advanced

Yea Devon, it would be a real shame to help out a guy who had only posted 44 times as Cory alluded to. <"Tons of guys have them here but with only 43 posts (as of writting this) you might not get someone willing to help you out with a copy on this board (no offense meant)".> Don't get me wrong Cory you told it like it is. This is no reflection on you at all. Who makes up these unspoken rules anyway? Is there some sort of pecking order to getting replies here? Six excellent posts helping 10 people each is better than 200 posts like " Is synthetic oil better than "Dino" oil? Is it quantity or quality this list strives to achieve? All posts should get the same measure of respect regardless of how many times someone has posted. I'm off the soap box now. Please don't reply to my post unless you have posted over 150 times or personally know someone who has.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:48 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Amazing...the last sale on the set of 6-volume manuals was sold on Ebay for $305!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...gory=6763&rd=1
Old 12-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Porsche used to sell them. I dont think ANYONE has these anymore even if they are still advertising them. I have seen the 6 volume (w/o turbo) for 350 or more.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:49 PM
MY83944
Racer

I got real lucky and found the complete 924 set at a "antique mall" for a whopping $25.00. Then bought the complete 944 set for another $200.00 - Look around, you can find a deal if you are patient. Check with the local PCA - they may also have a lead for you.

Last edited by MY83944; 12-01-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:53 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by yieldsign2
i looked on ebay, dont see it ever on there, thats why i was wondering if there was any where else to get it, even if its expensive
Then you haven't looked closely enough. I've seen about 4 sets in the last month. I also know of another set at a great price that should be easy to find, but I won't divulge it here and now because I've pointed a friend that direction already.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:24 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by major
Yea Devon, it would be a real shame to help out a guy who had only posted 44 times as Cory alluded to. <"Tons of guys have them here but with only 43 posts (as of writting this) you might not get someone willing to help you out with a copy on this board (no offense meant)".> Don't get me wrong Cory you told it like it is. This is no reflection on you at all. Who makes up these unspoken rules anyway? Is there some sort of pecking order to getting replies here? Six excellent posts helping 10 people each is better than 200 posts like " Is synthetic oil better than "Dino" oil? Is it quantity or quality this list strives to achieve? All posts should get the same measure of respect regardless of how many times someone has posted. I'm off the soap box now. Please don't reply to my post unless you have posted over 150 times or personally know someone who has.
MAJOR: My reference to him being new was regarding the fact that the shop manuals (on CD that I refered to) are pirated copies of the manuals scan'd into .pdf file format and since he was new here and not many people are familar with him personally, he would not likely get someone to go out on a limb and risk there own neck to give a copy of pirated (technically illegal) material.

As I posted originally, John D. (owner/operator/administrator and all around great guy to give free memberships away) can get in major trouble from PCNA if they find out we are trafficing pirated copies of their $300 shop manuals. He has posted about this practice before and said that this could or would cause him trouble and therefore asked if we would stop. I guess I was trying to skate around the using the phrase "ask and someone may copy their pirated CD for you Devon". Am I making any sense or am I rambling???

Not sure where you're going with that whole pecking order thing??? Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly??? I'll take the blame here though!

Devon had plenty of responses to his question, and again my reference to him being new was concerning someone burning him a copy of there CD-shop manual.

I disagree that new posters are not helped or appreciated. I researched my first post a few months back (over 2.5 years ago) and the guys were just as helpful back then as they are now. They walked me through my first brake job on a Porsche in a matter of hours. Pretty good for a newbie as I was.

Please don't feel that Rennlist is that way... simply stated with very few exceptions Rennlist is a great bunch of guys and girls (MichelleJD :-). Maybe you can join us next year for the 944fest '04 and you can see for yourself. It's in Ohio!!!

Take care and sorry if I came across weird or even hinted that the board was like that!!!

PS If I personally knew Devon he'd have a copy of the (you know what... secret code for CD) by the end of the week in the mail. Now that kind of stuff goes on all of the time here. I've received a lot of free stuff and given a lot of free stuff to help out others... again stick around and give the board a chance. They really are a great group!!!!!!!

Cory
Old 12-02-2003, 11:12 PM
major
Advanced

Cory,
The misunderstanding was on my part. You make yourself perfectly clear. I read something into your original post that you obviously did not intend. The problem was on the recieving end and not the transmitting.
Sorry if any offense was taken by anyone.

Major

Quick Reply: Shop manual?