Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

homemade intercooler sprayer

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 01:51 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homemade intercooler sprayer

I haven't been around in a while since I sold my 944 a few months ago and picked up a new WRX. For anyone who's interested in an update, my buddy fixed the 944 -- it wouldn't start cold, and it turns out the fuel rail was leaking (yikes!). 6 months and 0 fires later, it's as good as.. running.

Anyway, since I'm strapped for cash now that I spent too much on a brand new car on my military wages, I've been looking for things to improve the performance in the WRX for cheap. So I made a $40 intercooler sprayer which should be easy enough to put on your 951s.

Parts: (All from Autozone)
Windshield washer pump $13
10 ft 3/16" hose $5
zip ties $2
Some kind of button/switch $3
Nozzles $4
Wire $4

Pictures of the whole ordeal can be found here.

I checked high and low for nozzles that'd work - at first, when I found nothing, I epoxied plastic valve stem covers to the hoses and poked holes in them with a heated sewing needle (which turned out to be the second best nozzles I tried). I also tried nozzles for a pressure washer, which, of course, didn't work at the low pressure of the washer fluid pump. I tried both Walmarts in town, True Value, 3 nurseries, all the auto parts places, Home Depot and Lowes with no luck. Then I finally found them. The nozzles are actually made for irrigation, and I found them at a John Deere landscaping store for a buck apiece. The DIY I followed found similar nozzles at Walmart, called "Orbit Dripmaster," but they've all been put in the back to make room for Christmas trees.

Putting it all together is pretty straight forward. If you look at the next page of the pictures I posted, I put the switch in the center console in my WRX, next to the hand brake. This is where the roller for variable differential is in the STi. I took the power from the power mirrors right there and grounded it where the battery is grounded under the hood. The washer fluid reservoir in a WRX sedan has an open place for a pump that'd go to the rear washer in a wagon, so I just drilled a hole and I was good to go. In an STi, the ic water reservoir is in the truck so it won't be exposed to underhood temperatures, and judging by the temperature of the water I've noticed since doing this, that might be a good idea.

So.. does it work? It feels like it, but... I've been to the drag strip once since doing it. My first run I forgot to spray and ran a 13.94@95.98. I gave it a ~2 second spray each run after that and never met that time, but I came close. I'll attribute it to not letting my engine cool between runs. A guy on the WRX boards has a post IC intake temp gauge and said he's seen swings of as much as 25C with the sprayer. So.. there ya have it.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:55 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Heh, at least you havent completly abandoned us!
Old 11-29-2003, 01:57 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Heh, at least you havent completly abandoned us!
I'm really anxious to have the money to buy the 944 back.. Won't happen for quite a while though, and I'd probably be better off buying a different one.. Though I think that I'll end up doing is I'll wait till I have real money and buy a 993 or 996, say 10 years down the line.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey man, dont wait 10 years...pick up a cheapo 951 and wrench on that for a lil bit!

BTW: Think that will work for my 89 Conquest?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:33 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Sure it would work. Such a weird car. I've got 4 years until I seperate from the military, give me a year after that to get on my feet and I'll get a Porsche, one way or another. Deal?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Predator
Pro

Mix some rubbing alchol with your water ('bout 50/50) and you'll get better results while using less.

Quick Reply: homemade intercooler sprayer