Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modern Offset on an '86?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 02:20 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Modern Offset on an '86?

Curious, what would it take to update an '86 944 to the modern offset WITHOUT spacers? I dont think this has been discussed before and if it has, sorry i did a search it didnt come up.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add to the question, are the parts from a turbo and NA car interrchangable for the early to late offset swap?
Old 11-28-2003, 06:04 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I have done just this. My PO put late offset wheels on my 951 and he never knew about the change....he just drove it with the wheels way up under the car (looked VERY odd). Well, since I had those wheels and only those wheels and I needed to do a ball joint from the purchase anyway, I decided to go the suspension route instead of buying spacers and studs.

To do this correctly, it required for me the A-arms, hubs, spindles, tie-rod ends and brake rotors up front and in the rear it took the hubs and rotors. Made a massive difference in how the car looked, although I guess to most it was subtle since they can't tell the difference between a 928 and a 944....sheesh...

I don't have a clue on the parts swapping from the NA side, but I would probably stick more to the turbo parts. However, check the part numbers for the suspension pieces. If both the 87+ NA and turbo cars have the same part number, then they should be identical and could be interchanged. Anybody else know 'bout this?

I got my stuff through DC Automotive, which advertises in Panorama. He was great in helping me find and get what I needed. Prices were quite reasonable as well as I turned around and sold my 86 suspension on Ebay and got about 80% back of what I spent on those parts. Can't beat that.

BTW, when I did mine, since you are in there and I don't know when you last did them, I changed out ALL of my wheel bearings at the same time. So now I have brand new ones with only 119k miles on the clock and should be good till 200+.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:38 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, ill be adding those parts to my future "wish" list Are they just off late offset 951's or are they 968 parts?
Old 11-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

MPD47:
You can just get spacers and use late offset wheels with the 'correct' location. A lot cheaper than redoing your whole suspension.

-Z.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:33 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Yes, Danno has a writeup on this, but with my balljoint repair and selling my 86 stuff, the cost was very similar except for the wheel bearings and some labor costs as I had to do something with the balljoint anyway. Also, I don't have to worry about longer studs, etc. if I ever get out on a track as that was pointed out to me early on as well as some of the trusted names weren't the happiest about seeing that out there. I'm very happy with what I did on mine. Biggest thing now is that I can't run those Fuchs from the 86 MY, but at the cost they want for them when you can find them, I doubt I'd have any anyway.

As for the parts, I think that they are pretty much the same on the 968 cars, but not for certain. Again, if you check some parts catalogs to see what the part numbers are, if they match, you are in business. I would think that the entire 968 M030 suspension would bolt right up, but if you couldn't get it used for a great deal, there might be better stuff you could put up under there.

Quick Reply: Modern Offset on an '86?