Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging a 1985 944 N/A - POSITIVE FEEDBACK ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by sharq
Then there is getting the parts. I live in Iceland so getting parts might be a hassle. probably most can be gathered from eBay (Eaton, intercooler) - I have to see if part sales here have any Eaton M90
If you were interested I could sell you all my brackets and such to give you a head start on the project, and could send you an M90 to rebuild as well.

It's heavy but it can ship to Iceland...

I am basically starting over with a different supercharger so none of what I already have will work.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 AM
willrobinson
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, great to see another person joining the superchager club

Im in the middle of my build at the minute too, also with Eaton M90

to your question of crank sensors many have done different things, I bought an S2 flywheel with the 60-2 teeth as from my research it seemed to be the best for robustness and accuracy.

Like the others say, a wide band o2 is a great idea to ensure you dont have any expensive mistakes when tuning and is also very useful for tuning as you can always see the air/fuel ratio as the result of your tune.
Other must haves are a turbo throttle position sensor so the ECU can see the throttle position through its range, the NA doesnt do this.
Also some form of idle control will be necessary, your ECU should be able to work with different options, I have yet to decide what to do here, perhaps others can make suggestions.

Definitely easier and cheaper to go with modern injectors as suggested, there have been many improvements in 30 years.

there are good cheap alternatives for Throttle position and Intake air temp maybe some of the experienced guys can post their experiences.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:27 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Idle valve - no reason to change anything if you have an early car. You said it's an '85 so that's an unknown. With a late car, you can still control it with any ECU if you set it up. Or convert to the early style valve, which has no control scheme, it just gets 12v.

Air temp - literally any sensor will work if you have the calibration data for it. Lots out there with known figures.

TPS - good to have. If you install a standalone there's no excuse not to do it right and get a potentiometer TPS. Mainly here for telling the ECU how much to enrich or enlean during throttle % changes.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:06 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So I've been there, and done that. Still waiting for the T-shirt.

I am a Professional fabricator by trade. I TIG weld and build food and pharma equipment but wish I was building car parts. It was not an easy build. It was very gratifying, and probably would have lived if I'd known my motor had the compression bumped at some point in it's life.

I used an eaton M90. 944 Turbo Injectors. Ebay intercooler. Custom Piping. Lots of Vibrant silicone hose couplings. Rogue Tuning NA-Tune MAF conversion, and programmable DME. When It was running, it was incredible. Hardest part is actually fitting the S/C. I suggest using a Jaguar short snout blower. It will leave you more room for the intake piping into the back of the blower. Don't forget to run a bypass.

Good luck, and have fun.

(BTW - I own a 951 now)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarrenD
I suggest using a Jaguar short snout blower.

is that one of them jag-wars?
Attached Images  

Last edited by V2Rocket; 08-13-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend of mine built a supercharged 944, he ran it on the stock ignition and EFI, kind of ran like crap but at one point he found a pulley that produced the "right" amount of boost so that it didn't run that crappy...then...it was very very fun to drive and sounded amazing.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 PM
sharq
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
If you were interested I could sell you all my brackets and such to give you a head start on the project, and could send you an M90 to rebuild as well.

It's heavy but it can ship to Iceland...

I am basically starting over with a different supercharger so none of what I already have will work.
Hey, dude! I've stopped receiving notifications for the thread!!! So... I'm seeing this now for the first time. Already ordered a M90 from Ebay and it's on the way! PROJECT OFFICIALLY STARTED!

I'd love if I could take some shortcuts with brackets from you.

What are they? the supercharger mount and/or?
Old 08-18-2017, 06:51 PM
sharq
Track Day

Originally Posted by DarrenD

So I've been there, and done that. Still waiting for the T-shirt.

I am a Professional fabricator by trade. I TIG weld and build food and pharma equipment but wish I was building car parts. It was not an easy build. It was very gratifying, and probably would have lived if I'd known my motor had the compression bumped at some point in it's life.

I used an eaton M90. 944 Turbo Injectors. Ebay intercooler. Custom Piping. Lots of Vibrant silicone hose couplings. Rogue Tuning NA-Tune MAF conversion, and programmable DME. When It was running, it was incredible. Hardest part is actually fitting the S/C. I suggest using a Jaguar short snout blower. It will leave you more room for the intake piping into the back of the blower. Don't forget to run a bypass.

Good luck, and have fun.

(BTW - I own a 951 now)
Thanks dude, The Eaton is already in the mail so i'll have to wrestle that in
Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
sharq
Track Day

Originally Posted by odonnell
Idle valve - no reason to change anything if you have an early car. You said it's an '85 so that's an unknown. With a late car, you can still control it with any ECU if you set it up. Or convert to the early style valve, which has no control scheme, it just gets 12v.

Air temp - literally any sensor will work if you have the calibration data for it. Lots out there with known figures.

TPS - good to have. If you install a standalone there's no excuse not to do it right and get a potentiometer TPS. Mainly here for telling the ECU how much to enrich or enlean during throttle % changes.
THX
Old 08-18-2017, 06:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sharq
Hey, dude! I've stopped receiving notifications for the thread!!! So... I'm seeing this now for the first time. Already ordered a M90 from Ebay and it's on the way! PROJECT OFFICIALLY STARTED!

I'd love if I could take some shortcuts with brackets from you.

What are they? the supercharger mount and/or?
really ugly but effective brackets to attach the M90 supercharger (from thunderbird) to the 944 block.

designed to be able to hang the AC compressor from this bracket, with intention to put alternator on the other side of the engine (in place of power steering).

if you don't want to keep AC you could tweak the bracket a bit to make alternator mounting tabs.

ill see about grabbing photos later.

also the boxy intake manifold from the photo below is available if desired, along with the blower "outlet"
here you can see it illustrated a little better, this photo was from probably 2013?

all my plans are different now, literally nothing in this photo is going to be used moving forward aside from the chassis..lol
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM
sharq
Track Day

Nice, pictures please...
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

and here is where it stood in 2014...again, nothing is going to be carried over for my project...

Old 08-20-2017, 06:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Brackets, inlet and outlets, manifold...and the custom 4" pulley I had machined to lower boost vs stock m90 pulley.
Attached Images      
Old 08-20-2017, 08:31 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Wouldn't it be a ton easier to find an old Paxton or Vortech head and fab up one or two brackets and the piping? Just an idea. If I were going to supercharge one, I'd go the centrifugal route.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

even old ones of those still command a huge price tag, if you can find one.

an M90 is a $100 supercharger at junkyards and takes another $100 to rebuild one.

to me at least the real attraction of the roots-type is the instant response and low/mid range power gains achievable.
a 944 is in desperate need of low-end power, IMO...so this is an easy way to get there.

Quick Reply: Supercharging a 1985 944 N/A - POSITIVE FEEDBACK ONLY!