Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anderson? - You've created a monster!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put a stock turbo motor into my na and the tranny hasn't acted up yet knock on wood...i dont have as much power as this one though. It is a LITTLE harder to put the turbo motor into the early NAs because it doesn't have the intercooler mounts and prolly some other minor stuff...either way its not too bad.

i dont know how much it would cost for andersons motor but i did my entire conversion...including all new pulleys, belts, waterpump, rebuilt head, turbo, oil cooler seals....pretty much everything except the internals...the motor only had 60k on it...and installed it for about 3000, then i sold my old NA motor for 800 and still have a starter, alternator(rebuilt) almost brand new clutch....so it cost me about 3000-around 1000 or a little more.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:47 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like more and more people are doing this...
Old 11-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Wow, great deal Andre!

If I chose to keep my 924S, I'm all for lightening it up, and dropping
a 951 motor in it!
Old 11-28-2003, 02:56 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Let's say this is Phase I.

I walked in to AMW expecting to build a standard 2.5 turbo and walked out with a 2.7L turbo conversion. Call it fate - John just received a 2.7 block/crank in and told me it wouldn't be the "sane" conversion a 2.5 would yield. What the heck is sane these days? I set out my expectations and John affirmed that I would exceed all of them with the 2.7L and more! He's right - it's not "sane" nor is it comfortable at this stage. But I love it!

Price/cost: priceless - I used Mastercard!
Old 11-28-2003, 04:32 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

David,

Are you in San Diego?

I would love to see the car in person.

Kevin
Old 11-28-2003, 12:38 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about doing a huntly racing or Anderson block and a supercharger after college ( in about a month), but I haven't done the research on it yet. I really have no idea what I'd spend if I had someone else do it though. Also, when I get the engine rebuilt, I may have the compression ration lowered, is this necessary when going with a forced induction, or just wise?

Was your price comprable to the $4999 for the Huntley s/c kit with all you had done? Huntley claims about 250 with all the kit gives you (turbo injectors and all that fun stuff).
Old 11-28-2003, 01:04 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

David,

I have put all of the build pictures on our FTP site, If you like, Mark or yourself can fetch them and post them, shows the block getting built, pistons, placed in the car, etc etc, basically the story.

Email me at :

v3r5racer@yahoo.com

to get the adress and password. Or dave, you can call me on the cell, I'm heading to Willow Springs for the POC race, but I will give you the info over the tele.

Take Care.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, are you sure you didn't do something funny to my car!? That black 944 looks like mine, lol! Wait, of course, same model.

Heh, would love to do something evil like that to my car, but I refuse to use credit for it.

David, did you see my poor car down there? Well, I'm going to see if I can get visiting right next week...are you still bringing it down to Anderson's? I'd really love to see it!

- Julie
Old 11-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

hey john, how's business so far? haven't seen you in a while, Jonas tells me a lot about you. BTW you know if you can get JE pistons that have a higher compression similar to the 88 na cars' 10.7:1???

Old 11-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

David, you might want to add a heatshield between that turbo and your master cylinder/brake fluid reservoir...
Ahmet
Old 11-29-2003, 12:02 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Devia; I saw your car, a matter of fact I was there the day the Anaheim towing company brought it down to AMW and dropped it off. John will fix-it don't worry.

The credit thang was a joke, I'm a cash man and I believe what I paid is irrelevant. I'm trying to be subtle here on the list because everyone has different taste, mine happens to be Opus One, Beluga caviar and Mr. Stoxs steaks. I will just say John's price was fair and reasonable.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:07 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

89magic98: yes send me a PM and we'll set up a time to meet.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:12 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

ya know on second thought, how does one go about converting an NA into a turbo car. especially an 84 that needs a 951 transplant...

Old 11-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad that David is happy with his purchase.
I've tried to stay out of this thread because I don't want to come off sounding like I'm "out to get" AMW. OTOH, I worry when I see replies like RMills944 or some of the others, I fell into the "(engine=$X)+(labor=$Y)=(total=$Z), yup, I can spend $Z" hole and I don't want to see others do the same thing. If you are not in the same geographic area as an engine builder (whether it's Anderson or anyone else), what happens if there's a problem? Who's job is it to make things right? In my case, I budgeted $5000 to replace my shortblock, I have receipts for double that amount! I actually typed up the whole story (2 1/2 pages) in word with the intent to post it as a "don't let this happen to you" thread, but as I said above, I'm not out for revenge and I'm not sure it would have been taken as I intended. Heck, I'm still advertising him in my sig! For his part, John told me that he was rethinking weather or not it was a good idea to be shipping engines to places where he could not service them when there was a problem, hopefully he has come up with a solution or is keeping his business closer to home. If you are looking to buy, know the details ahead of time, ask who's paying when a new motor doesn't last long enough to fully warm up, it can happen, even the best builders are human and can make mistakes. If you're the one footing the bill, make sure you're readdy for ALL the bills that might come your way!
Old 11-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Derrek Khajavi
Racer

If you are in the business of manufacturing and shipping engines you need to have a warrantee to cover the customer for any eventuality which the manufacturer is responsible for. Anything less is bordering on unscrupulous activity.

Quick Reply: Anderson? - You've created a monster!!!!