Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

look what I made!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003 | 12:11 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Talking look what I made!!

After trying to find something to mount a camra to, I decided to just build my own. And it actually works really good too. Tell me what you think. I'll try to get a shot of the camra looking out the window later tonight.

Old 11-25-2003 | 12:20 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Warning Will Robenson "DANGER"

Looks like you put some real thought into this and it does look awesome. I have to lend experience to this project and say that you will want to find a way to firmly lock down the Camcorder with something other than bungee cords. A similar design cost me a cam corder when under heavy autoX/DE loads many years ago the cam corder became a projectile in the cabin of my car when it dislodged itself from under the cords. I used form fome and molded a top to the camera, then fastened it down with steel bands, hinges and a quick release post. It’s worth the extra effort, believe me! I should go look in my storage and see if I still have it to show you. Well just my .002

TaboII
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:24 PM
goalkeeper21
Intermediate

Not bad, there is one problem though. Every pebble you hit the camera will feel it. There is no give to your little contraption. Once you take a look at your shots you'll get woozy! I still like it, I wouldn't have done that myself!
Tony
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:25 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Why not just screw it down? It should have a spot on the base for use with a tripod. Just use a screw and screw it in. Other than that, looks very good.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:27 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

TaboII
Thanks to the input. Actuall I forgot to say that the camra is bolted to the stand using the place that you would bolt up a tripod. How hard was it for you to get the camra into the right spot. I took me what seemed like forever.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:41 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

The shots are actually very stable. There is a layer of foam between the camera and stand that helped take out a lot of vibration. The stand its self is very solid so that takes a lot of woozyness out of the picture.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:43 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

if its a sony you should have steady shot on it. I got that on mine and it works wounders.
Old 11-25-2003 | 12:59 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I did something similar, although much much more ghetto. I had a smaller sized tripod that is only about a foot long when fully retracted, i mounted my MiniDV cam on top, and set the tripod up at its lowest setting in the back. I closed the rear hatch, climbed into the backseat and adusted the height of the tripod so that the camera sat snugly against the roof/hatch. This pretty much sandwiched the thing in so it wasnt moving at all. Worked pretty well on one of my speed runs though the backroads.
Old 11-25-2003 | 01:14 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Good luck

Bryans951

I had a pivot bolt I used to mount the camera in the up and down position. I pointed left to right correctly when mounting the base. Oh and just as a heads up, the tripod mount was used on my original set up as well. The screw or mount that is in the bottom of a lot of these cameras are only held in by the “PLASTIC” case that surrounds the camera. Be forewarned they “WILL” break off under heavy loads if not secured extremely well. I am not trying to be a neh sayer here, just lending my own experience to your project. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” especially if it hits you in the head at 80 mph in a right hand turn. "Ask me how I know this"!

Later
TaboII

Quick Reply: look what I made!!