Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo ignition advance doesn't change

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

What are your fuel pressure readings at idle with vacuum, idle without vacuum, and under load when it acts up? What kinds of voltages are you seeing at the O2 in the same scenarios? Have you tried running the car with the O2 disconnected?

Your compression pressures (10 BAR or about 145psi) is good and indicates, for the most part, the cylinders are sealing. Compression test does not tell us if you have burned up exhaust valves. You'd need to do a leakdown test to verify that. I doubt that you have valve spring issues as you'd have obvious misfires as well as mechanical noise from the valvetrain.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:34 AM
WPO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
What are your fuel pressure readings at idle with vacuum, idle without vacuum, and under load when it acts up? What kinds of voltages are you seeing at the O2 in the same scenarios? Have you tried running the car with the O2 disconnected?

Your compression pressures (10 BAR or about 145psi) is good and indicates, for the most part, the cylinders are sealing. Compression test does not tell us if you have burned up exhaust valves. You'd need to do a leakdown test to verify that. I doubt that you have valve spring issues as you'd have obvious misfires as well as mechanical noise from the valvetrain.
No idea about the fuel pressure. It hasn't been measured as far as I know? However as when the car was ran on dyno the AFR readings were good - a bit even on the rich side. If I would have fuel pressure problems that would have shown in AFR readings in the dyno.

O2 voltages haven't been measured and the car hasn't been ran with O2 disconnected.

Doesn't compression test tell if a valve is burnt or not as the car would lose compression? Or under which scenario compression would be OK with a burnt valve and a leakdown test would only tell that? Just trying to understand the scenario.

edit: as per my understanding compression test would tell if there is a problem with the cylinder keeping pressure. Is that an intake or exhaust valve that doesn't tell - a leak down test will tell that - but compression test will indicate if a problem exists nevertheless.

Last edited by WPO; 08-09-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

If the compression test was done properly it should show a burnt valve as a low, slow-to-build cylinder. If the compression test was done with the throttle plate closed I am not sure what it might show. A leakdown would be more interesting.

Maybe a broken valvespring would get lazy under load and start to flow air/fuel out the exhaust?

Can you IR gun the header and see if all 4 are hot or if it's more one than the others?

Running with the O2 disconnected is a good thought. If the AFR was post-cat then it'd have burnt off some fuel in the cat no? Fuel pressure under load would be interesting. Cats can run red from a miss pushing fuel/air into them or maybe from leanness... I am not sure if you'd get a glowing red cat from that or just high EGT.

You could IR gun the exhaust also to see if the cat is heating the exhaust or if it's hot all the way down. i.e. is there fuel in the exhaust that the cat is burning to create more heat? Seems to me you must.

Myself I'd throw away all the assumptions (particularly the wrong ones) and start with looking at the plugs and doing compression/leakdown.

I don't suppose anyone has done a plug chop.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM
WPO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
If the compression test was done properly it should show a burnt valve as a low, slow-to-build cylinder. If the compression test was done with the throttle plate closed I am not sure what it might show. A leakdown would be more interesting.

Maybe a broken valvespring would get lazy under load and start to flow air/fuel out the exhaust?

Can you IR gun the header and see if all 4 are hot or if it's more one than the others?

Running with the O2 disconnected is a good thought. If the AFR was post-cat then it'd have burnt off some fuel in the cat no? Fuel pressure under load would be interesting. Cats can run red from a miss pushing fuel/air into them or maybe from leanness... I am not sure if you'd get a glowing red cat from that or just high EGT.

You could IR gun the exhaust also to see if the cat is heating the exhaust or if it's hot all the way down. i.e. is there fuel in the exhaust that the cat is burning to create more heat? Seems to me you must.

Myself I'd throw away all the assumptions (particularly the wrong ones) and start with looking at the plugs and doing compression/leakdown.

I don't suppose anyone has done a plug chop.
Compression test was done properly i.e. throttle fully opened.

AFR measured post cat i.e. from the tailpipe as typically in a dyno its measured.

One other person also suggested that valve springs might be broken / which would case the exhaust valves not to seat properly under load.

I guess you're right with the assumptions and prior work done: everything out from the window and start from square one. Arghh...
Old 08-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

>"Compression test was done properly i.e. throttle fully opened."

How do you know? Were you there? Could you see the gauge? Engine hot?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM
WPO
Intermediate

>"Compression test was done properly i.e. throttle fully opened."

How do you know? Were you there? Could you see the gauge? Engine hot?
I know because we did it ourselves with my buddy who owns the car.

The car is not in the shop anymore as it spent there about 4 months earlier and they were not able to find what's wrong with that.

I saw the gauge and engine was hot etc.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:48 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

if your engine wont do more than 0.2 bar, and cylinder test is ok.
Is there any leaks on the ic piping?

Can you do a video?

0.2 bar seems like a hug backpressure problem.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 PM
WPO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ealoken
if your engine wont do more than 0.2 bar, and cylinder test is ok.
Is there any leaks on the ic piping?

Can you do a video?

0.2 bar seems like a hug backpressure problem.
There is a video on page 4. Taken from the inside while the car was driven. Not much of info there apart from the sound and about 0.2 bar of boost.

We haven't checked the piping ourselves but the shop it was in earlier said they pressure tested the whole system and it didn't have any leaks.

Somehow the whizzing sound appears to come from under the car and the sound was the same when the car was driven w/o cat and muffler. Sounded like an old tractor

Again - as a background the car was driven on a track - not floored - and then on the way home there was no power = the problem started. Nothing out of the ordinary happened whilst driving in the track. Fixing the damn thing would be far easier if there would be a clear problem.

Even though the shop didn't find the problem they did try their very best and it is not a backyard mechanic but an independent shop who have done Porsche repairs for about 20-years or so.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:16 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Pardon if you already stated this or answered it. Is this header glowing uniform across all 4 cylinders? That could split this between an isolated failure (e.g. you have exhaust valve issues on 1 or 2 cyls) versus and across-the-board tune issue. You can get IR temp guns for really cheap these days. Hell, I got one just so I can check the temperature outside, using the window pane, without leaving my bed in the morning
Old 08-09-2017, 01:21 PM
WPO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by odonnell
Pardon if you already stated this or answered it. Is this header glowing uniform across all 4 cylinders? That could split this between an isolated failure (e.g. you have exhaust valve issues on 1 or 2 cyls) versus and across-the-board tune issue. You can get IR temp guns for really cheap these days. Hell, I got one just so I can check the temperature outside, using the window pane, without leaving my bed in the morning
If I recall correctly - I will dbl check this from my buddy though - the header was glowing uniformly when the car was on dyno. It really becomes glowing red.

I'll get back to this topic once I have checked this for sure.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WPO
the car was driven on a track - not floored
OK now I know this is a troll :-)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM
WPO
Intermediate

OK now I know this is a troll :-)
Why on earth this would be a troll?

If we would know what's wrong with the car it would have been fixed already. The guy who owns the car is mechanically really adept i.e. he's running a repair shop of a well known brand of outboard engines and motorcycles and his business partner handles the sales side of the business . So he really is pretty familiar with the world of engines. However this P-car had proven to be a tough nut to crack. Or actually impossible so far.

The car was driven on a track on a P-car club day and the track was full of cars so tracking was more or less driving on a line of cars. Occasionally there was enough space to drive hard but even at that time the driving instructor was screaming murder i.e. brake and don't drive that fast etc. so the car really wasn't driven "hard".

Below a few pics from yesterdays skull-breaking and mind-boggling session. I didn't take a pic of the mark on the flywheel but they do align.

Someone suggested that cam gear keyway would have gone bad and caused the cam gear to slip and thus timing would be out of whack. We tried to open the hex-nut but it is SO tight that we gave up. Hard to believe on the cam gear slipping theory. Anyways out of ideas and appears that anything is possible at this point.

Timing mark

Non-hairy cat on the floor.

Muffler on the floor

Last edited by WPO; 08-09-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typos and added info
Old 08-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Note the smiley :-) Having a 951 on a track and not flooring it is difficult to believe.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

...with the exhaust off the car how does it run...
Old 08-09-2017, 05:27 PM
WPO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
...with the exhaust off the car how does it run...
post #60.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo ignition advance doesn't change