Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s about the 944S timing belt or chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 11:43 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatornapper
Gage -

Crush washers can usually be re-softened/annealed by boiling them in water then allowing to cool slowly - ever do this? Can I get crush washers from Pelican? Interesting that German guy in video simply re-used the original crush washers - would have thought he would have suggested new. I'm a torque-correct freak, so no problem there. Check on original Porsche seal for cam cover.
Yes, crush washers can be annealed but it takes 800 degrees F or more of temperature and rapid cooling (quench) to do it. They then should be cleaned and re-faced, so at $.25 each at Belmetric, I get new ones.
The first step of applying correct torque is knowing the specification. This is where access to the FSM is important.
The "seal" is actually 16 or 17 seals for all the retainer bolts and spark plug wells.
This is also a good time to inspect / replace the supply and return fuel hoses as the cam cover removal and installation process is made easier with the fuel hoses removed.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:03 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Gage -

Again, thanks for correction - yes, for $.25 I'll get new ones. Can you send me linkey for correct washers? Looked on belmetric.om but not sure which ones are correct.

Good news on fuel hoses: they are brand new.

Gotcha on seals too.

GN

Originally Posted by Gage
Yes, crush washers can be annealed but it takes 800 degrees F or more of temperature and rapid cooling (quench) to do it. They then should be cleaned and re-faced, so at $.25 each at Belmetric, I get new ones.
The first step of applying correct torque is knowing the specification. This is where access to the FSM is important.
The "seal" is actually 16 or 17 seals for all the retainer bolts and spark plug wells.
This is also a good time to inspect / replace the supply and return fuel hoses as the cam cover removal and installation process is made easier with the fuel hoses removed.

Quick Reply: ?'s about the 944S timing belt or chain