Sponsored by:

914-6 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:55 PM
bclark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 914-6 wheels

I have a bone stock 914-6 with the original 14 inch Fuchs wheels and I was wondering if anyone had any experience replacing them with 15 inch rims. I am not interested in going to a 4 bolt pattern, so normal 914 wheels are not an option. I want to stick with the original wheel design, just a little bigger, possibly as big as 16 inch if there is a fit there.

The fenders are completely stock and I want to keep them that way.

Any ideas / advice / suggestions? - Bob
Old 08-16-2003, 03:53 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Hi Bob,

You can very easily convert to either 15x6" or 16x6" Fuchs. Be sure to select a tire size (profile ratio) that is relatively close to stock tire circumference so that you minimize gearing & speedometer effects -- unless you don't mind shorter gearing.

Many 914's (stock fenders) can fit 205 tires but the "safe" bet is 195's. You would probably want 60 or 65 profile tires on the 15" wheels or 50-55 series on the 16's.

Do you happen to know if there are any 914's in Russia? I would guess that quite a few VW's made their way East in the 50's-80's but far fewer of the more expensive brands/models?

Cheers,
Old 08-16-2003, 07:52 AM
bclark
7th Gear

Thanks for the information. I had 205's on a 914 2.0 I owned in the 80's and they worked great. I think I will begin to search out some 15's or 16's on the web. If anyone can point me in a specific direction, I would appreciate it.

I have never seen a 914 in Russia. My guess is that if anyone did see it they would think it was a UFO and take it apart in the name of science.

Lots of current day VW's here, but rarely will you see a Beetle. For a long time this was a closed market for cars and all you could get were domestic brands (read: crap!).

Today Pres. Putin is trying to protect the domestic car business but they still build crap cars and anyone with the means buys foreign... mostly German. I am continually surprised at the number of high end Mercedes and BMWs here.

Not a lot of Porsches here yet. In fact, I think there are more Porsches in St. Petersburg than Moscow but I can't say for sure why. Probably because they are smarter and have better taste. Either that or it's easier to make a Mercedes bulletproof (you think I'm joking!).

Quick Reply: 914-6 wheels