Sponsored by:

What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What is it?

Does anybody know what the items are that are pointed to in the linked pics?

This one is some kind of vent, but what is the function?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

This hose comes from under the back of the car and plugs into the bottom of the air box. A transmission vent?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

-Damon
Old 04-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a long time since I had the -6 but I'm pretty sure the air spigot off of the fan shroud is part of the evaporative emissions system. I'm thinking it provided the pressurized air needed to purge the charcoal cannister and whatever in the front of the car. I think the small line that plugs into the airbox is just a drain for same, to purge any condensed water/fuel/oil vapors, whatever

At first I was thinking it (the small one) might be a vestige of a weird cold-start mechanism they had, a "spray bar" system that squirted raw fuel into the intake throats as you cranked. (There was a sprayer for each carb throat. A manifold for that ran along both sides of the air cleaner housing. Small diameter brass and rubber tubing) This went away quickly because of the engine backfired on starting, a rather large gasoline-fueled fire ensued. When I got my car in 1971 all of it had been removed and I doubt any surviving -6's would still have it. If they do it needs to go away before the whole car does.

Last edited by Steam Driver; 04-14-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Change comment about cold-start system
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Paul.

The air spigot off the fan shroud isn't connected to anything, so I need to block it off.

I don't have any cold-start or idle speed control mechanism on my car that I have seen in photos.

-Damon

Quick Reply: What is it?