Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 934 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mikekoozmin
"Racing oil" is not recommended for street use because it typically has a 600-800 mile wear life (about 10 hours of full on racing). BP semi-synthetic 20-50 "racing" oil is not a true race oil as it has detergents in it. Most real race oils typically have zero detergent. M1 uses mostly Calcium Sulfonate detergent which is more temp stable but not as effective at anti-wear compared to the full ZDDP with a little Calcium Sulfonate detergent. M1 does last longer (based on TBN) but the Calcium Sulfonate detergent washes the anti-wear film from the internals faster so pick yer poison carefully.
Care to share where you get your info on detergent?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 AM
mikekoozmin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LN Engineering has done extensive testing on these oils and has many write-ups on the subject. They are a good "one stop shop" for the data but a quick search on Calcium Sulfonate detergent will yield a good amount of info if you wanted to learn more about it. I only did a bunch of reading on the internet and consulted with friends that have been tooling with flat tappet engines for longer than me. I'm not an expert but have done some research on the subject since it's a topic that comes up frequently in the 914 community. These are all just opinions to be researched and taken as one sees fit. I'm not writing a technical data sheet here. Just giving some food for thought.

Quick Reply: What oil to use for our 914s?