Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

What lifters and what cam make? I remember about 7 years ago they were saying that the lifters were all bad. That is when people were making the ceramic ones, then they came out with good solid metal lifters again. Now everyone says it's all in the oil.

My opinion - I'll put my money on modern oil compared to the Brad Penn stuff that is supposed to be 30 year old Kendall technology. Remember were we were 30 years ago? I don't (I'm only 32), but I've seen pictures. A good V8 made 300 HP, old school Mickey Thompson race tires, retreads were great track day tires. Cars were worn out in 100k miles.

I'm not trying to say you did anything wrong, but I don't think the metals are nearly as good today as they were then. The oil might be a part of the problem, but not all.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 PM
mikekoozmin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day it was whatever was available. Mostly OEM. Then there were after market items which came with their own growing pains. I'd venture to bet the Penn oils are far different today than 30 years ago when it was Kendall. Heck, refining alone has changed and components go in and out of conformance with regulatory standards. None-the-less, there is no way the oil can be all of any problem. The user plays a big part. I have done plenty of things wrong. I know that department rather well.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I just couldn't refrain from jumping into this thread...

If you folks want a premuim oil look at the Mobil VTwin. Porsche had some input with this when they were working with Harley Davidson. ALL of the NON racing oils have or WILL have a reformulated metal conditioning pack. This is NOT good for our engines. Jumping ship to a NON restricted oil such as a HD diesel oil or motorcycle oil will get us the High Zinc and metal conditioners. This oil was formulated for the air-cooled pistons and liners, and is API > gas rated.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Valvoline Dino VR-1 20w/50. I would have said Kendall GT-1 20w/50, but the "new" Kendall with "Titanium" BS scares me to death.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevin
I just couldn't refrain from jumping into this thread...

If you folks want a premuim oil look at the Mobil VTwin. Porsche had some input with this when they were working with Harley Davidson. ALL of the NON racing oils have or WILL have a reformulated metal conditioning pack. This is NOT good for our engines. Jumping ship to a NON restricted oil such as a HD diesel oil or motorcycle oil will get us the High Zinc and metal conditioners. This oil was formulated for the air-cooled pistons and liners, and is API > gas rated.
I'm sure Mobil 1 has input on the new oils that go into new cars too. A V Rod motor is pretty different than a Type IV.

Oil is sort of like politics or truck brands, usually just turns into arguments and no winner is ever found.

I'd say there has been more testing at a higher level on this http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/products/hotrod/hr3.html than any of the Brad Penn stuff.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Come on Matt, which is better, a Ford, Chevy, or Ram???

You can't answer that wrong....
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I answer I like the Safety Solutions R3, not the HANS.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skl
Come on Matt, which is better, a Ford, Chevy, or Ram???

You can't answer that wrong....
Chevy!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 AM
thf944
Racer

Found this Valvoline VR1 Racing oil at my local parts store in 20-50. They had Royal Purple but not in 20-50 so I got the Valvoline instead. I was a little low on oil so I needed to get something in to bring it up to proper level.

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1)

The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.

High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
Additional friction modfiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
Available through leading auto parts retailers

Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That is a great oil! Good luck and don't over fill it!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:00 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

thanks for the info thf!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM
thf944
Racer

Doing some more hunting around. On Mobil's site, I found some info on their racing oils.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Qs.aspx#FAQs15

I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 in my race car. How are these new oils better/different?
Mobil 1 15W-50 is a higher viscosity oil that delivers a thick oil film for protection of high performance engines. While Mobil 1 15W-50 can be used and is recommended for both street and track use, the new Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for general street use where vehicles use catalytic exhaust converters. Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 and Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 are lower viscosity oils designed to protect the engine under high output conditions in high operating temperatures. Additionally, Mobil 1 Racing Oils offer boosted levels of anti-wear protection (nominal zinc level of 1850 ppm) for extra engine protection in highly loaded flat tappet engine designs like those used in the NASCAR Sprint Cup series.

You say that Mobil 1 Racing oils are not for street use. Why is that? Does that mean I can't use these oils if my race car is also my daily driver?
Automotive street use oils that meet the latest industry standards are required to have a lower level of Zinc and Phosphorus anti-wear chemistries than oils formulated years ago. The latest automotive street use engine oils are designed to be compatible with emission control equipment. Mobil 1 Racing oils are formulated with anti-wear (Zinc/Phosphorus) chemistries at twice the level of automotive street oils to provide enhanced protection of highly loaded valve train systems found in some race engines. Based on the high level of anti-wear chemistries, Mobil 1 Racing oils are not recommended for street use.

Zero weight oils are thinner. Will using a 0W oil cause excessive engine wear while racing or qualifying?
Mobil 1 Racing oils employ fully synthetic, latest generation, wide viscosity grade racing oil technology, designed to help reduce engine friction and protect the engine under high output conditions in high operating temperatures. Both Mobil 1 Racing 0W-30 and Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50 motor oils offer boosted levels of anti-wear protection (nominal zinc level of 1850 ppm) for extra engine protection in highly loaded flat tappet engine designs.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
thf944
Racer

I believe the VR1 was on sale at O Reilly's for $2.99 a quart. May pick some up for next oil change. My motor isn't leaking so I'm debating switching to synthetic. I'll have to look at the pricing of the Mobil 1 racing oil and compare with others like Royal Purple and Brad Penn.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

$2.99 a quart?!?!?!?!?!?! Hell, buy me a case and ship it out to NH. Seriously, that is half of what we are paying out here. Buy as much as you can!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 PM
mikekoozmin
Cruisin'

"Racing oil" is not recommended for street use because it typically has a 600-800 mile wear life (about 10 hours of full on racing). BP semi-synthetic 20-50 "racing" oil is not a true race oil as it has detergents in it. Most real race oils typically have zero detergent. M1 uses mostly Calcium Sulfonate detergent which is more temp stable but not as effective at anti-wear compared to the full ZDDP with a little Calcium Sulfonate detergent. M1 does last longer (based on TBN) but the Calcium Sulfonate detergent washes the anti-wear film from the internals faster so pick yer poison carefully.

Quick Reply: What oil to use for our 914s?