Sponsored by:

OK, Guys...A Little Help, Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default OK, Guys...A Little Help, Please

You may have seen that I recently bought a '74 914 1.8. The last time it ran, supposedly, was in 2003, and the reason for it not running must still be discovered. As we push it from place to place (it's finally on the hoist after gas tank removal, and cleaning away a dust pan full of mouse poop and seven years of spider webs) and I discover an almost seized LR brake caliper.

The last time I was involved with 914s, at the shop, was about twenty years ago. If we needed a rear caliper (nobody rebuilt them back then) we called a supplier and it was delivered on the next truck. Apparently that doesn't work anymore!

I would appreciate learning the best solution that others have used regarding rear caliper replacement (I must retain the original handbrake mechanism).

Currently waiting for a fuel tank strainer/outlet pipe, and a filler neck gasket to come from Germany (the gas tank has been hot-tanked, and it actually came out pretty darned nice; better than expected). Will finish all of the fuel lines this week so the car can have fresh gas in order to diagnose the non-running issue.
Attached Images         
Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pete, I helped a local Porsche mechanic clean out his shop, and I happen to know that a few used calipers can be had for a steal. His stuff I think is still stored locally here if you're interested in having me take a look. If you want, you can talk to him personally. He works at Canepa Group Inc in Scotts Valley. Ask for Kevin Moulineau, and tell him that Russ, who helped him pack up his used parts when Arcane Automotive closed down, told you to call him.

Otherwise maybe a rebuild kit? Easy or Partshaven? 20th Street Auto in Phoenix? Auto Atlanta?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

did you post on 914world your need for a caliper? Jim Peter I am excited for you, wish I could start on my 916 project, but I must wait until I part out my 964 CAB. Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Calipers http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html

Fuel Lines and calipers http://www.tangerineracing.com/ - Chris is a GREAT guy and a real 914 nut.

Also, talk to Rich at HPH. He may have some calipers around http://www.highperformancehouse.com/
Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Great sources, guys!!! Thank you very much, I'll be doing some looking/calling tomorrow - and probably spending more money than I should!

rusnak; pm sent.

Jim; I've tried a few times to register for 914World, without luck. I'll give it another try tomorrow (Wednesday).

Matt; I checked pmbperf, they have caliper kits and handbrake cable connector kits. That just might be the way to go!

Thanks, again!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

there are many people who use the early 911 rear 5 bolt hubs and backing plate, modify the ebrake and kill two birds with one stone, 5 bolt conversion and 911 e brake. Not to difficult to change the fronts to 911 SC or Carrera struts and get another great brake upgrde and 5 bolt pattern. Great wheels are the 6 x 16 used from the fronts of 911 fit and look great. If you are going to spend the money maybe this makes sense. Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Peter, I just did a post on 914world looking for either rebuilt rear caliper or good used for you. I am not sure if you can see the thread, but I will forward any replies I get. Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Also do not forget how old the plastic fuel lines are in the tunnel since the tank is out might be a great time to replace. There are some stainless steel kits being sold as replacements. Jim
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Eric Shea has a company in Utah called PMB Performance. Great guy and does caliper restorations. Jim
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
there are many people who use the early 911 rear 5 bolt hubs and backing plate, modify the ebrake and kill two birds with one stone, 5 bolt conversion and 911 e brake. Not to difficult to change the fronts to 911 SC or Carrera struts and get another great brake upgrde and 5 bolt pattern. Great wheels are the 6 x 16 used from the fronts of 911 fit and look great. If you are going to spend the money maybe this makes sense. Jim
I decided that, because so many 914s have been converted to this, or that, that I would keep mine dead stock. It has been black since new, the jambs and trunks are original and acceptable, so I think that the world has room for a nice, clean, '74 1.8 as the factory intended it to be.

Peter, I just did a post on 914world looking for either rebuilt rear caliper or good used for you. I am not sure if you can see the thread, but I will forward any replies I get. Jim
Thank you!

Also do not forget how old the plastic fuel lines are in the tunnel since the tank is out might be a great time to replace. There are some stainless steel kits being sold as replacements. Jim
The plastic lines look great, but I'm going to figure out the best way to replace them...

Eric Shea has a company in Utah called PMB Performance. Great guy and does caliper restorations. Jim

He has replied to my e-mail, and I'll be talking to him later today!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

As if you need another recommendation for Eric's work at this point, I'll just post a picture. His rebuilt calipers are unrivaled, and his cost is excellent.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
As if you need another recommendation for Eric's work at this point, I'll just post a picture. His rebuilt calipers are unrivaled, and his cost is excellent.
LOL! Those calipers are way too nice for my car!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

They're probably the nicest part on my '73 2.0l. Other than maybe the Mallory optical dizzy...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I spoke with Eric a little while ago. Good guy, patient and informative. We decided that, because he has good caliper cores in stock, that he would ship to me a pair of rebuilt exchange units + a pair of rear rotors + a set of Porterfield street pads. Problem solved!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Don't mess with the fuel lines - just buy them from Chris and be done with it forever. The original plastic ones are 36 years old.

Quick Reply: OK, Guys...A Little Help, Please