Greetings from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Lopez
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from new owner

Hi all.

I'm a 928 guy mostly, but I wanted a period lightweight sports car to compliment the period not-so-lightweight monster that is the 928. So, I (perhaps foolishly given it was sight-unseen) bought this 914:

http://tinyurl.com/b6btzh

I know nothing about these cars other than what I can remember from working on and driving one in the mid-80's when I was in high school (it belonged to a friend). So, fingers crossed this isn't a rusted-out basket case (it will probably arrive in a couple weeks). I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and hope this forum is at least as helpful as the front-engine-water-cooled-v8 forum is. Also, if you see anything glaringly obvious about this car ("it's missing one wheel!" "it has no air cleaners and the carbs are not original!" etc. etc.) I'd appreciate the feedback.

Like, can you tell if it is a 1.8 or 2.0 by looking at it? The PO doesn't know... and I assume it's a 1.8, but I'm understandably curious.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 580 Posts

You bought sight unseen??? That takes guts... I doubt they're dual Solexs, but rather Weber or Delortos (sp?) Good luck...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Congrats!

Obviously, no carbs are original for a 4 cylinder one. Hopefully the body is sound and you'll be able to get it running well. Then, after probably going through the suspension/brakes, you should have a fun, nimble car.

Quick Reply: Greetings from new owner