Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default upgrade help

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
i am really looking for an easy upgrade from the 2.4

i want fuel injection and an A/C and more power
but stay air cooled porsche
Believe it or not, the 3.0L is the hardest engine to get to fit due to the fuel injection that it had. The 3.2L is a fairly easy upgrade and there are alot aftermarket parts to help you with this upgrade. The 3.6L (1995) is also fairly easy to get to fit. It just requires alot more time, modifications, and money.. www.patrickmotorsports.com is your best source for this upgrade. Which ever conversion that you plan on doing, you need to upgrade the cars brakes and strengthen the body. Again patrick motor sports has a great sight and parts that will help you. Also Jim is awsome to work with. AC can be done in the car. Not as easy though.. As for the boxster engine. It will fit in the car but you are going where few if any have gone before. (alot more fabercation) As for the cost of the swap, plan on spending about $13000 for just getting the engine into the car. That does not include trans, brakes, body etc... If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:07 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Believe it or not, the 3.0L is the hardest engine to get to fit due to the fuel injection that it had. The 3.2L is a fairly easy upgrade and there are alot aftermarket parts to help you with this upgrade. The 3.6L (1995) is also fairly easy to get to fit. It just requires alot more time, modifications, and money.. www.patrickmotorsports.com is your best source for this upgrade. Which ever conversion that you plan on doing, you need to upgrade the cars brakes and strengthen the body. Again patrick motor sports has a great sight and parts that will help you. Also Jim is awsome to work with. AC can be done in the car. Not as easy though.. As for the boxster engine. It will fit in the car but you are going where few if any have gone before. (alot more fabercation) As for the cost of the swap, plan on spending about $13000 for just getting the engine into the car. That does not include trans, brakes, body etc... If you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
yikes boxter eng is not an option
how much est cost to drop the 3.6 including eng?
thanks guys for all the input

I do need a targa top latch (the one that is on the targa itself) and I need the round front side turn marker
Old 10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Default $13000 est

$13000 est. was for the 993 motor.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:15 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

well that just became a loser option for me
thank the mkt.....

so tell me more if i buy a 3.2 with a car setup for a 2.4
Old 10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Default 3.2L costs

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
well that just became a loser option for me
thank the mkt.....

so tell me more if i buy a 3.2 with a car setup for a 2.4
The 3.2L conversion is still fairly expensive. From my estimates it would only save you the difference in the price difference from a 3.6L to a 3.2L plus about $1000. And that is IF you can find a good 3.2L that will not need alot of work.
Putting a 3.2L or bigger into the car is not cheap. If you do all the work yourself and really shop around, you may be able to get away only spending about $5000. But I think that you really should plan on spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $10000 to $15000 for your upgrade. In reality it usually ends up alot higher than what was planned for.
Another good place to look for the answers to your questions is www.motormeister.com. They have a very comprehensive brake down with est. on each conversion.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The only way to fly.... 914-6 GT
More photos found here: http://www.canepa.com/inventory/race...0GT/index.html
Attached Images    

Last edited by FlatSix911; 10-06-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Another good place to look for the answers to your questions is www.motormeister.com. They have a very comprehensive brake down with est. on each conversion.
Are you serious with this post??? Do you know how many people have been screwed by this company? Please do a search on this company both on here and Pelicanparts forums. It is up to us, the end users of the cars to watch out for each other.... I would not send my dead grandmother in a AMC Pacer there.....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Olav A.
Racer

[

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
The only way to fly.... 914-6 GT
More photos found here: http://www.canepa.com/inventory/race...0GT/index.html
The best color!

Last edited by Olav A.; 10-14-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: snipped stuff out.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Food for thought - if you start with an aluminum case 911 engine you will be ahead of the game. Which means 3.0 or 3.2 engine - much money will be saved over a mag case and all the additional machine shop charges to make ready to make a solid engine. Age is your enemy at this point. Carbs can be jetted realitively easy for a 3.0, but again the age of the carbs can necessitate new carbs or a total rebuild. Gas mileage will never be great with carbs, but it sure is nice to hear the 2 3 barrel carbs open up. Have you read Bruce Andersons book? It outlines the various combinations for the 911 engines and what can be done. For anyone seriously thinking about rebuilding or upgrading their engine should get this book to study. When you go with a larger engine you also get faced with correct size headers, headers with heat, will the tranny hold up and then you get to address the complete suspension and tires/wheels and while you can make anything you want be prepared to spend big bucks. Jim
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbobrat930
Are you serious with this post??? Do you know how many people have been screwed by this company? Please do a search on this company both on here and Pelicanparts forums. It is up to us, the end users of the cars to watch out for each other.... I would not send my dead grandmother in a AMC Pacer there.....
Maybe true but they have a great brake down on what is involved in this conversion. So they have great info only....
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 3.2 in my 914. You just need a Kennedy Engineering flywheel clutch adapter and that's it. The rest is a joke. The wiring is very straightforward and moving the intake consists of home depot parts. I am even using the stock aircleaner so everything is water proof. No cutting of the car. Regarding the 3.6 you don't need to cut the car up. Just reverse the injection, so the MAF faces the other way. The problem with the 3.6 is you will spend tons of hours cutting and fabricating the tin around the motor due to twin plugs. The 3.6 also does not have its own oil cooler, so you will need to install a beefy one up front. The 901 stock 914 trans is also known to explode with a 3.6 so you will need to install a WEVO setup with a 915. The trans mess alone would cost $2k for adapter, 2k for trans plus maybe overhauling it and of course new axles and CV's around $800.00 from patrickmotorsports.com. Patrick also sells the Wevo kit.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Jetmech
Racer

I like the GT3 engine in a 914. don't asked me why.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

I believe that both of the 3.6 conversions I have pictured above have their intakes reversed? I think? Neither needed to be cut up to put the engine in. Trunks are normal as I recall... I know both of these guys personally and have seen both cars. As they used to say "it is an E ticket ride".
Old 01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

when you are ready to swap...I'd be interested in your 2.4 for my 914/6 GT conversion project.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
iamchappy
Track Day

3.12 turbo was my choice.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 914-6 2.4 vs 3.6