Sponsored by:

Purchase quuestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Guards964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase quuestions

Hey guys, I'm usually hanging out in the 964 forum, but I have come accross a good looking 914 that I have some questions about. It is a '72 914 Roller. No Drivetrain, Glass or exterior trim. The Body according to the seller (I haven't gone out to see it yet) has been totally restored at an expense to him of $5000, including the paint. He has also rhino lined the main parts of the car as well.

So what I am wanting to know is what a good price would be for a roller like this, and if @ $2000 it is even worth going out to look at it knowing I will ahve to track down all of the interior/exterior trim, and drivetrain???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Guards964
Instructor

Here are some pics that the owner sent me...

Name:  914 2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  914 3.jpg
Size:  7.6 KB

Name:  914 4.jpg
Size:  6.9 KB

Name:  914.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  7.0 KB

Thanks

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Even if you parted it out, you would come away with $2000 in your pocket. I see $400 worth of wheels in the picture alone. Check for rust. Check for rust. Did I mention you should check for rust?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

IMHO, 2000 for this chassis is a great deal. Looks like it has Fuchs wheels with orig. center caps, fog lights and a whole array of other parts. Depending on what the car comes with, this could be an easy project. (Drivetrain in takes an hour on these cars, give or take). Check ebay, pelican, 914world.com, and all the others for more info. Also, if that car needs seals (as in body seals) prepare to spend a lot of money. That's why my resto is currently stopped. Engines and transmissions are fairly easy to come by.

I'm by no means an expert. I do think the chassis with all the work done is worth 2000.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

I am always suspicious of a car that is covered in fresh undercoat or bedliner. There is no way to tell how rusty it is or was. Figure around a thousand bucks for a new windshield and seals(mostly aftermarket). If I knew for sure that the work was done properly, I'd say $2000 is a fair price. It really depends on what was wrong with the body to begin with. $5000 does not go that far for excellent quality body work. Does the seller have complete pics of the resto? If I had to guess, I'd say to expect to spend another $4-5k to finish this car if you supply all the labor and shop around for reasonably priced parts. Keep in mind that some parts are not easy to find. Early door glass is different than late door glass, windshields are expensive- $450 is the best price I have found. A good solution might be to find a good running but average car, buy it as well and combine the two.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 771 Likes on 385 Posts

Scott,
IF you buy it, I probably have a whole lotta parts you will need to put it together. I pretty much stripped all the stock parts out of my 914 race car years ago, and most are just sitting around.

If it really has no rust, it's not a bad deal at all. Check for rust below the battery tray (PS in the engine compartment) all the longitudinals/rockers, floor pans, and right where the rear floor pan meets the fire wall. Those are typical problem spots in a 914. If he has records of what was done, ask a lot of questions about these areas. If they are all solid, then it's a good deal.

Then...the fun begins. You can find just about anything new and old out there. some things take time, some are quick. I've rebuilt 3 914's in the past 2 years to various stages of "stock" or not. (ok, one I did twice, but who's counting).

If you want a fun project, 914's are pretty easy to work on. It all depends on how "perfect" you want it. Will you be able to build it and make money? probably not. But you can build it, and have a blast of a car to drive!!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Jay Gratton