Sponsored by:

914 ski rack FS

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 914 ski rack FS

I have had an original 914 ski rack tucked away for 30 years. Downsizing brings such painful discoveries to light wwhen boxes are opened up! Also have the original ad campaign from Car & Driver that goes with it. Any ideea what this is worth?
Porrsha
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Default pictures of ski rack

Pic #1 is the ski rack. The tab at 6 O Clock slides into the front targa slot above the windshield shade. The rear is screwed on under the targa roll bar. If you look under your roll bar, on the left side, you will see caps covering threaded holes for accessories.
Pic #2 is the for the "Schuss Porsche" also very collectible. I had this ski rack when I lived in Buffalo during the Blizzard of '77.
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome! That would really compliment my period correct trunk mounted luggage rack too

While I may be in the minority, I found my previous 914 absolutely horrid in the snow, even with 4 snow tires. No real weight over the drive or turn wheels. I recall sliding off the road at <10mph one day. Had to rock it back and forth (1st-reverse) for a bit before braking free. Fond memories to look back on but not desired to repeat
Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

racer, how does the luggage rack attach to the lid? Do you have to drill holes and such?

BTW, last time I drove the 914 in the snow (when I lived in germany), I put a spare transmission in the front trunk. Worked absolutely great!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by hitbyastick
racer, how does the luggage rack attach to the lid? Do you have to drill holes and such? The front flange fits in the slot with the targa lid. The rear mounts into predrilled factory holes that most peoplee exist. Look under the overhang right in back of the rear window. You will see some caps covering the holes.

BTW, last time I drove the 914 in the snow (when I lived in germany), I put a spare transmission in the front trunk. Worked absolutely great!
When I drove one year round, young and broke, I made sure there was somethung in the trunk as well. If you got more than 4 inches of snow then you got high centered and forward progress quickly stopped as the snow piled higher and higher in front.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by hitbyastick
racer, how does the luggage rack attach to the lid? Do you have to drill holes and such?
Yup. Looks like 4 holes drilled through. 2 near thengine lid, 2 more about 2/3 down the decklid. Then, under these last two, mounted to the underside of the trunk, are 2, about 6" long brackets, that help spread the weight .
Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually I have an original ski rack that looks totally different.

I must dig it out an make a photo.

Quick Reply: 914 ski rack FS