Sponsored by:

1974 944 2.0 Please Help.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
KausticKiss
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 944 2.0 Please Help.....

Thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer. Ok, to start, this is not my first foray into the world of Porsche. I own an 86 944na that I did much of the work on myself after tiring of $100 per hour shop rates. I have also done maintenance and repair work on a number of other vehicles, so I'm not completely daft, nor am I scared to dig in and get my hands dirty.
Here is the issue. I was recently bequeathed my deceased uncle's 1974
914 2.0. The car isn't completely alien to me, but I am in the dark on quite a few things. I know he owned the car for quite a few years, and after doing quite a bit of restorative work, it was stolen and trashed by a couple of morons who did quite a bit of damage. He started up again, bringing the car back from the dead. He had it back in good working condition when his health began failing, and I know the car sat idle for at least a year before I got it. So I am trying to find advice on what steps to take to get it going again. The work that has been performed to the car that I am aware of is as follows:
-The battery area was cleaned up and repaired due to the typical rust issues.
-I'm pretty sure the fuel pump has been relocated b/c I don't see it in the engine compartment, but haven't investigated enough to find it in the front trunk compartment.
-I'm not sure if the carb setup is stock, but that leads me to my main problem.
The car will not start, and when I turn on the ignition switch, I hear an odd grinding/binding noise in the front trunk from underneath the expansion tank area. It sounds like something mechanical that is stuck or locked up. The front trunk also smells strongly of gasoline.
Pretty much, I would like your advice on what steps to take to get this car in road-worthy condition. There is also a small amount of rust at the base of both "A" pillars on either side of the windshield, the black covering on the rear pillars is beginning to crack and peel.
I know this a laundry-list of issues, but again, I would very much appreciate any help you may be able to offer.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, welcome to Rennlist! Can you get some pics of the engine and rist spots up for us to see?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
KausticKiss
3rd Gear

I don't have a digital at my disposal, but I will do what I can so you can check them out. Might take me a few days. Thanks....
Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

The carbs aren't stock - only the 914-6 had carbs, and they didn't make the 6 in '74.

There is a sheet metal cover under the car that covers an access hole under the gas tank. I've seen fuel pumps here.

How long has it been sitting?

And, WELCOME!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM
KausticKiss
3rd Gear

At least a year....no longer than 18 months....thanks you guys for the welcomes.....
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned, carbs are NOT original. It also sounds like the fuel pump is up front, under the tank. Perhaps it is what is making the horrible noise. Maybe its gone bad.. maybe the lines are shot. These cars are old. It can be worth it to replace fuel lines as I wouldn't trust 30+ year old lines to not leak and catch fire.

So.. figure out the source of your fuel problem and at the same time, replace as many lines as you can. May also need to drain the tank to get "fresh" gas in there. There could also be rust/debris in the bottom of the gas tank which is clogging fuel filters/lines. May want to have someone sit in the car and press on the gas while you look into the carbs (with the aircleaners off) to see if fuel is getting to the motor.

Quick Reply: 1974 944 2.0 Please Help.....