Sponsored by:

Engine Pad Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Pad Removal

As a follow up to my Backpad removal, it was time to move to the engine compartment for some additional "removal" activities. Afraid of any moisture the engine sound pad may have been harboring, I decided to remove it.

First I had to remove my crankcase oil overflow breather catch can. Took all of 1 minute, and then took the time to drain it out as well. Good times . I also had to remove the rain tray to provide easier access into the bowels of the engine compartment too

Then I had to figure out how the pad was held in place. Looked like maybe 6-8 metal "clips" that held the pad in place. Also, of course, was plenty of factory adhesive. Thus, not a neat job. After pulling and some cutting, the pad was removed. Most of its backing was also removed. A few clumps remained where the adhesive was particularly well applied.

And, as expected, as I removed the pad, I heard the faint sound of small items "clinking" off the motor and fire wall. Indeed. A small acorn forest materialized! Acorns, some twigs and other "nesting" materials were plentiful. Must have picked up/vacummed out about 1/2 lb of those suckers.

The metal behind the pad, fortunately, is in great shape. No signs of moisture being trapped and forming rust. Thank goodness!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I need to do this on my 914 as well. Thanks for posting this! As soon as I get through the Preservation Class at Parade it is GONE!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 PM
racer
Drifting

I did struggle a bit with the idea of removing the back pad and engine pad for those reasons too, Jay. But in the end, since the car has a cage, front oilcooler and accusump, I figured I would just keep going with the track mods and worry about concours later
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, say good-bye to a bunch of nasty weight.
Have you seen that one Performance Products sells?
Looks nice, but for a racecar not really needed.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed mine for the restoration. Luckily for me the PO didn't just clip it on there, he decided to use some real awesome glue. So this task (with engine and engine compartment lid removed) took all of two hours. I'm still debating whether I'll put it back or not. There are companies out there that sell sheets of sound deadening, so I might make my own. We shall see!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I used dynamat for my engine compartment pad... I think it looks pretty slick!
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
racer
Drifting

I like the look of the painted body panel. If the motor were out I would spend time removing the bits of leftover pad. As it is, I don't mind the extra sound and have yet to notice any extra heat (in either this 914 or my previous one) with the pads removed.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Van , how much did that set you back? Did you glue it in?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I got it from summit racing (I don't remember how much it was, but I'm usually a cheapskate, so it probably wasn't prohibitive...)

It has adhesive on one side, so I cut it to size, then started sticking it on and peeling the release liner off (like a bumper sticker).

I did it with the engine in (I did remove the engine lid) and used a little roller thing to smooth it down and help it meet the contour of the bulkhead.

I installed it over a year ago and it has held up very well!

Quick Reply: Engine Pad Removal