Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously considering a 914...where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:11 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Seriously considering a 914...where do I start?

Hey guys,
I've got a 996 tip which I use as a daily, but lately I've been seriously kicking around the idea of getting a 914 as a fun weekend/project car. My father-in-law is a welder by trade, and we'd tackle the project together, so a bit of rust is not a huge deal.

Problem is, as the former owner of water-cooled porsches only (boxster, boxster s, and 996) I don't know squat about 914's, what to look out for, which years are best, etc....

Could anyone steer me in th direction of a buyer's guide or good 914 web resource? I've always loved these cars (even though I've never actually driven one), as it was a signal orange 914 that started my porsche obsession when I was about 7 years old (my Dad's best friend had one, and I remember admiring that car as though it were yesterday). Thanks guys. Scott.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am sort of in a search for the right 914 at the moment, and having just begun as well I don't have much to offer in data about the cars, but I would suggest checking out the forums at www.914club.com, lots of great info and people there and its all about 914s
Old 12-26-2007, 09:36 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

The 914 is fun and cheap to drive. The things one can do to these cars is vast. First look for a 2.0 car if possible. The engine if built correctly can get about -/+ 150hp, very nice in a car that weighs about 2300 pounds. Buy every book available to educate yourself, period. If you proceed to look do your homework. Read and re-read and most of all these cars are prone to rust so caution is the word. I also am going to get back into 914's as the cost of repairs on the 911 is becoming just a little over the top. I see you live in Arizona, one of my favorite states. One can walk down the street packing a 44 and know one thinks twice.......except the crook.

Last edited by cal44; 12-26-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I believe there are buyer's guides on the Pelican Parts and Automobile Atlanta web pages (Auto Atlanta specializes in 914 parts).

The big killer, of course, is rust. The 914 is the last generation of cars bodies that were NOT galvanized as a rust preventor...

They are fun cars, and a good compliment to a 996! (although a bit slower...)
Old 12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking for an originql car? A weekend driver? An Autocrosser? Track car? Depending on those it would steer me in certain ways. www.914world.com and www.914club.com are two great 914 resources. Pelican parts is another. The rennlist 914 section isn't quite as active as these others.

If I was building a racecar, rust be less worrysome since the car would be taken apart and re-assembled.

If I wanted a nice weekend car, I wouldn't necessarily get caught up in the 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 decision.

If i wanted a collector car, I would want an original 914-6.

They will feel and sound SO very different than your 996, you realize the only common element is they were both sold at porsche dealers (in the US anyway )

Ideally, find a car that is in the best shape overall. IE, as little rust as possible. You want to inspect

1) Battery tray - located in the engine compartment
2) right and left longitudinals- especially the jack points
3) passenger side rear suspension (see #1.. when batteries leak, the acid drips onto this suspension point)
4) If possible -remove the top and have a large person stand in the doorframe. Then try to shut the other door...
5) Inspect floor boards
6) Inspect trunk floors

Realize that these cars are old. You won't find some replacement parts for some items. Others will be sourced from other owners/Ebay/Swap meets

From a desireability standpoint I think it goes:

1) 914-6
2) '73-74 2.0l
3) '75-76 2.0l
4) '70-73 1.7
5) '74-75 1.8

The early cars are light! my 1970, street legal, "track ready" with a full tank of gas, and with a roll cage wieghed 1990 lbs. My '76 wieghs closer to 2200lbs. When you are dealing with 75-95hp, every bit helps
Old 12-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rust is the important thing. I would look for a car without rust, even if you have to spend more $$$$ to get it. If there is a little rust some place there is MORE some place else. Find the best 914 you can (by best I mean as rust free as possible) and then build the engine the way you want.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:33 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

Awesome guys, thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I'm looking for a car that would be fun to bring back to a "nice" level for weekend driving. I'm definately not looking for a perfect or heavily modified car, nor one that needs a total body-off restoration...actually something in between. I realize this car will not be "fast" by modern standards, but I've enjoyed plenty of cars that were not considered fast (my old college 83 BMW 320i was such a car). I love the look of the 914's, the handling, and of course, the heritage. The other great thing about these cars is the price. I'm relatively young, and really can't afford a super expensive "weekend" car (my 996 is my commuter). I regularly see these cars for under 5k, and as I've indicated, I've got a father-in-law welder, who has also painted several cars and has his own equipment, so we could probably tackle many of the cosmetic/rust issues ourselves. Thanks again guys. Scott.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM
yarin
Racer

I think most of the major points were covered. You are better off spending a little more to get a "rust free" car than a project. Unless you really want a long term project of course. Rust repair isn't a simple ordeal, and it costs money in parts, materials, etc. As mentioned rust is the biggest issue, they all have some amount of rust, just a question of how much and where. A quick test is to check the door gaps, if they are right, it indicates the chassis is sagging. Also jack the car up on the passenger side and see if the door gaps change with the roof off. There are tons of tests and buying guides out there. Check 914club or 914world, PLENTY of helpful people there.

I agree the most desireable car is a 73-74 2.0L. IMO don't bother with a 1.7 or 1.8, you'll find yourself wanting more power very quickly.

And lastly as with any car, it's worth spending the $200 for a pre purchase inspection by a local 914 expert, or find a friend. Compression / leakdown will tell you if the motor is in good working order.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would agree that the 73-74 2.0 is the best model, but I just bought a 1.7 with a AMAZING body and I am planning on dropping in a 2.0 in the near future. Get the best 914 you can and then worry about the engine.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a 914...where do I start?